Wifi Bluetooth and Airplane mode anomaly

On startup bluetooth is automatically turned on.
Turning the wifi off, somehow turns on airplane mode (?) How ?
Reading about it on the internet, this issue has been around from Ubuntu 18 (Bug report)

How long does it take to fix something this small ??
Can't Zorin developers fix this ?
Also, why is there no "Disconnect" or "Refresh" buttons on WiFi. Why are so many basic functionalities just not present ?

2 Likes

I had the same issue. It was fixed when I moved from gnome to xfce.

1 Like

Same.

1 Like

All due respect but this is not a solution. We shouldn't have to change the entire environment for a fix. If the bulb is broken, you don't move to a different house. And it's not even that complicated of an issue that cannot be fixed after 3 LTS versions. And even if Ubuntu devs don't do anything doesn't mean Zorin devs shouldn't either.

1 Like

And if the house is broken?
I agree with you completely. And it is not the only Gnome issue (Gnome-control-center, gnome-software, gnome software-properties-gtk) that has a lot of easy to fix bugs that go years unfixed.

Can ZorinGroup patch gnome-control-center? Maybe, I am not sure if they have access to the .bin files, either. But even if they could, can they patch all of the above Gnome App problems and constantly apply each patch after every update?
It strains credulity that they could have that kind of time or resources available, as a team of Two People supporting Zorin OS Core, Zorin OS Education, Zorin OS Lite and Zorin OS Pro.

This is addressing the very questions you asked. I feel your pain and understand your frustration. I dealt with that frustration during the time I used Gnome.
The trouble is, Gnome is responsible for Gnome apps and it really falls on us all to pressure Gnome into... at least once in a while doing what is Right.

The existence of Gnome_extensions, when they work, already covers Gnomes liabilities too much as it is.

2 Likes

I am sorry if you took my words in the wrong way. It should have happened because I did not write it properly. I was not asking you to switch to xfce to solve the issue.

Through the words I stated above, I was just trying to convey the message that, Gnome might be the one causing the issue.

1 Like

It is. This is hardcoded into Gnome-Control-Center. It comes up on occasion for some users. It is an 'if/and/or' that only affects some computer setups.

1 Like

I'll be honest right now, if Zorin OS didn't work on my machines at all due to Gnome being the reason, I would switch to XFCE again. But reality is, with a few extensions, Gnome does all that I need. But both you and Aravisian are correct though, that there is certain functionality that is not found in the GUI.

And thats where Gnome could improve some things, putting key features into the GUI again that helps to improve things. The reason I kept saying GUI, is cause the functions you were asking for like network refresh, can be done in terminal.

Infact, I am simply going off of memory here and thus the code could easily be wrong. But isn't it something like...

sudo network.manager service r ???

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.