Wifi connections do not appear in network

I am new to Zorin, so I searched the previous questions concerning my Wi-Fi problem. I did the drivers command and the broken install comd, dkms, but all came back with zeros.
I run Zorin 16.1 core on my laptop, so I decided to put it on my desktop pc. It is a Bosston computer with AMD Ryzen 3 3200g, disk cap is 1.1 TB. It replaces Win 10 pro. Likewise, it has a Wi-Fi USB modem and was working and talking to the Wi-Fi when Win 10 was installed. Since I put Zorin 16 core on the Wi-Fi does not appear in the network settings What I have in network is wired (cable unplugged), VPN (not set up), New Proxy (set to auto). When I go to Zorin Connect and double click, nothing happens. So, at this point, I don't know what to do. My laptop also has Zorin 16 on it and the installation went without a hitch and it works fine and is connected to the Wi-Fi.
Thanks for any help I can get.

OK, first off Zorin Connect is not for wifi - it is to be able to make a connection between your mobile phone and ZorinOS.

Please open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

sudo lshw -C network

and post back the results.

[quote="swarfendor437, post:2, topic:19193"]
OK, first off Zorin Connect is not for wifi - it is to be able to make a connection between your mobile phone and ZorinOS.
OK, that's fair enough, I learned something.

However, I cannot easily post the results as the results are on my desk pc, and I am on my laptop. I must type it in long hand, but will shorthand where possible:
desc; Ethernet interface
prod; RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor; Realtek Semiconductor Co
phy id; 0
logic name; enpos0
version; 0c
serial; 18:c0:4d:35:3c:77
cap; 16bit/s
width; 64 bits
clock; 33mhz
capabilities; pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation config: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion n=5.13.0-30-generic firmware=rtl8168g-2_0.0.1 02/0613 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:36 ioport:f000(size-256) memory:fcd00000-fcd00fff memory:f0300000-f0303fff

Done!

`

Sorry, my bad! I forgot you stated you were using a USB dongle for WiFi. With the dongle attached, what are the results for:

lsusb -v

And post back only the information about the USB WiFi dongle.

1 Like

OK: bcdUSB 3.10, bcdUSB 3.10, bcdUSB 2.00, bcdUSB 1.10bcdUSB 1.10,
bcdUSB 2.00, bcdUSB 3.10, bcdUSB 2.0, bcdUSB 2.0 End. Nothing designated as a Wi-Fi dongle.

OK, can you tell me the make and model of the dongle? It might be one of those that only has Windows drivers for it. I picked up a realtek dongle once which claimed to work with Linux but only on a very old kernel! Your only other option is to look out for any Netgear WG111v3 dongles on e-bay (they work with Linux out of the box) or get a Linux dedicated dongle. Try following this fuller think penguin guide:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/networking

and if still no joy after following their detailed 'workarounds' to get wifi working, look at one of their dongles:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.