Will this new Dell ARM laptop run Zorin?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/qualcomm/spd/inspiron-14-3420-laptop

Snapdragon® 8cx Gen 2

$500 but I found a $50 coupon.

1 Like

Doesn't look like it's an install-it-and-run-it setup quite yet.

1 Like

Won't come till April 3rd so I can always cancel. No lighted keypad tho.

BTW, I found the code using the Slick Deals extension. It ran about a dozen and found one. R8QKNX4536PWZL

Edit: Ordered it. $59 off. Free shipping.

1 Like

ZorinGroup does hope to release an ARM version of Zorin OS in the future.

2 Likes

Currently, Zorin will only support (Intel & AMD) Processors. While it may be possible, it is more work than most are willing to put in. An ARM compatible version was discussed back in Zorin 15. They're current focus is the direct upgrade functionality everyone has been asking for and deploying Zorin Grid (enterprise management of Zorin systems).

2 Likes

I can't predict the future of laptops, it may work out well if it has ARM on board and the battery lasts a long time.

1 Like

I believe that some will replace their phone and tablet OSs with Zorin once this is possible. This may be a consideration of the devs. They may be holding out until they have a touch interface that can rival Ubuntu and Android. If nothing else the devs always insure a near perfect experience prior to user testing. It will be interesting to watch for development of this possibility.

1 Like

Especially considering that the SnapDragon 8 Gen 3 is comparable with an Intel i7, with a TDP of only 7 to 9 W.

If I were in the market for an ARM processor machine, I'd go for the Gen 3 CPUs... they're supposedly ~85% faster than the Gen 2 CPUs, and the GPU is ~60% faster, with the same TDP.

Essentially, cell phone processors are becoming so powerful that they can now be used in laptops and desktops.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.