Will upgrading to Zorin 16 also update my graphics drivers?

I am using Zorin 15 and want to play games, but the Mesa drivers I had didn't allow me to use Vulkan. I tried updating the Linux kernel as well as the Mesa drivers manually (by using a PPA that had more up-to-date versions of the drivers, I think I did it right), but it didn't work right because Vulkan is much slower than OpenGL for some reason. Does Zorin 16 come with more up-to-date Mesa drivers?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Since I do not have AMD graphics card I am afraid I cannot answer your question. I hope other volunteers who use AMD graphics will pitch in to help you.

1 Like

Is that the Oibaf ppa?

1 Like

FrenchPress now that you mentioned it I remembered, I have a 2nd Generation Intel Integrated Graphics Controller. I should have mentioned it earlier :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply Aravisian, I'm aware of the one you're talking about but I got it from Kisak PPA because I was told it's less bleeding edge (more stable)

1 Like

Well, for the record...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

1 Like

Generally, a new kernel does bring new drivers yes. And Zorin OS 16 uses a new kernel, and thus, you will have a newer set of drivers after install.

Weather or not the OS will run on your computer is in question these days, because were having a lot of issues with these latest kernels, and some people's computers.

1 Like