Will Zorin Os Lite Use All 12th/13th Gen Intel P and E Cores And Threads?

And will they all work out of the box?
Or will I have to tinker with my distros?
If so, will it be easy?

Note: I'm using the lite version of Zorin Os.

I think I once read that e-cores would only work with Windows?
But I'm guessing the Ubuntu community will fix this?

I haven't found a clear, "yes, every single Linux/Ubuntu distros can use all e-cores p-cores threads out of the box."

I use the 3d animation software Blender almost everyday.
And Obs.
Might play more games again.

Thanks.

What I found on Google:

This forum poster wasn't getting all the cores at first, but eventually got it to work:
Ubuntu 22.04 support for 12th gen Intel CPU - Ask Ubuntu

This post looks like all their p-cores and e-cores and threads are online:
x86 64 - How to detect E-cores and P-cores in Linux alder lake system? - Stack Overflow

Thanks. That gives me hope.
You said 12th gen but 13th gen. Should all the threads work for 13th gen, too?

The short answer to your question is "no." The longer answer is "yes." And the reason for the discrepancy is: It's complicated.

For all intents and purposes, the simple "no" would be the most accurate.
And as far as "why" goes, it is because the system will actually run leaner nor using all p-cores and all e-cores except for special demand.
If you want to ensure that this is the case and that all are capable of being used, then as @Turtle11 pointed out, you will need the higher kernel. You can install it with:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update

sudo apt install linux-generic-6.02

Sorry, but I don't understand this sentence.

Wow, interesting typo... Corrected:

You will not gain improvement from running all hyperthreads. The best analogy I can think of is a Lamborghini.
You take this supercar out on the roads and due to a speed limit, you cannot use all the available horsepower.

1 Like

On an 11th gen i7 setup here - no issues! I thought the sound was a problem but, turns out Windows was just taking the bus hostage :expressionless: I'm on core now though - tried Lite first to, 'test the waters' haha all worked - no hiccups. Then moved to Core..

With Zorin period, my machine boots so much faster than Win11 - on the same machine.. It's.. witchcraft! :scream: LOL it is good though, I will give it that! :grin: I've recommended it to a few people so far that haven't even heard of it; though, gaining popularity :smirk:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.