Windows noob seeking help. Issues faced upgrading from Zorin 17 core to Zorin 17 PRO

Upgrade and System Issues

The upgrade from Zorin OS Core to Zorin OS Pro went smoothly until the very end. However, it failed due to a VirtualBox issue. Although VirtualBox was deleted from my system, some files remained, causing an error during the apt update process. At the end, when it did apt update, it returned with an attempt to update VirtualBox, which failed because it could not be found. When I tried to upgrade again, it stated that I was already upgraded, but everything remained the same. The system did not reboot automatically after the upgrade. I manually rebooted the system and found myself in the same environment. Some of the newly installed apps were not working properly, so I attempted to reinstall them, resulting in having two versions of some apps. Additionally, I noticed that I have two kernels installed on my system.

Ethernet and Display Issues

Furthermore, I'm experiencing issues with my Ethernet connection, and my display (Samsung Odyssey Ark 55-inch 4K monitor, 165Hz) cannot be calibrated properly. Although it detects 165Hz, the colors are distorted, and I see holograms when moving the mouse over certain areas.

Attempted Installation of r8125 Ethernet Driver

I attempted to install the r8125 Ethernet driver by following the steps below:

1. Cleaned the previous installation:

• Executed sudo make clean in the /home/Downloads/r8125-9.012.04 directory.
  2. Installed the driver:

• Executed sudo make install in the same directory.
  3. Loaded the module:

• Executed sudo modprobe r8125.

However, I encountered the following error:

• modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'r8125': Exec format error
  • module r8125: .gnu.linkonce.this_module section size must match the kernel's built struct module size at run time

Please guide this nub on how to resolve this issue.

Other than this issue Im lovin it. :sweat_smile:

lsb_release -a:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Zorin
Description: Zorin OS 17
Release: 17
Codename: jammy

System Information

• Zorin OS: Zorin OS 17
  • Kernel: Linux 6.5.0-14-generic #14~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Nov 20 18:15:30 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • CPU: Intel i9-12900K
  • GPU: Nvidia 3080ti
  • RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600MHz
  • PSU: 1200W Platinum

Thank you

This is normal. Many times, users will retain two or three kernels in case you need to fall back to a working kernel after an upgrade.

Have you checked all your sources and ensured that all packages are up to date?
Did you use the Zorin Upgrader tool?

Which kernel are you using and did you patch or compile the kernel or make any other customizations?
If not; I recommend getting the Realtek 8125 driver from a different source.
Admittedly, I would use the

sudo apt install r8125-dkms

command... That may be more productive than trying to build from source.

Currently it is 6.5.0-14-generic
I think this was installed when i updated CUDA to the latest version.

Yeah i also tried :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:awesometic/ppa

sudo apt install realtek-r8125-dkms

still received the same error.

You mentioned Virtual Box. Is Zorin being run on bare metal or as a VM? To be honest virt-manager is far superior to Virtual Box and uses less memory than Virtual Box. Also the VM's in virt-manager give the graphical impression that they are a bare metal install.

baremetal.
Virtualbox was installed but i deleted it a while ago but somehow while the zorin pro upgrade was happening it tried to update virtualbox which did not exsist and encountered a error which made the upgrade announce that it failed but that was after 99% of the upgrade had already completed.

So when it failed it did not bring the system back to a pre upgrade state and just left it so now i cannot run the upgrade again as it says i am already upgraded but im having multiple errors everywhere and am not sure how to proceed.

Is there any way i can do the upgrade process again without losing my files. Or do a reinstall?
I also sent a ticket to support but its been 24 hours and i have not heard from them even though i paid for PRO.

Does zorin OS not provide faster support for paying customers?

pls advise.

There are only two members of Team Zorin, so please be patient. Personally I would backup my files to an external drive, then do a fresh instalk of Zorin 17 Pro.

1 Like

Zorin OS Pro includes direct installation support from the developers. This is not a faster approach, it is a more professional approach as well as one that may be experienced and knowledgeable.
As many Pro users may take advantage of this offer, those that submit tickets will be placed in line on request received. So, yes, it can take some time to get to your place in line.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.