Windows Update Killed My Dual Boot

Hello - new to Linux, been running Zorin for several months now flawlessly … until yesterday … I have Zorin on a partition w/Windows 10 and the dualboot option at startup. The other day Windows 10 updated and now the dual boot menu is gone and I go straight to Windows on restarts and after shut downs … is there a way to either: a) Reset the dual boot menu at restart or after shutdown, b) reinstall Zorin without losing the data I have stored in that environment, or b) login to Zorin from Windows (using a command prompt or something like that)?

I’ve tried a couple of things I’ve found online from what seem like similar issues, but without success … I did make it to the boot sequence menu in UEFI, but had no idea what I was looking at (I saw the hard “drives” and Windows, but nothing that looked like Zorin). From what I can tell, though, the partition is still intact. Many thanks for any help one may be able to provide.

The first thing I would try is booting from a LiveUSB for Zorin, then running Grub Repair (Or Boot repair):

1 Like

Thank you for the info ... in researching that ... I came across this youtube link: Where's my UBUNTU? Windows 10 update killed my dual-boot GRUB.1 minute solution. - YouTube

In it he suggests opening a command prompt as an administrator and running this command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

then restarting ... THIS WORKED ... everything is back to normal - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Cheers!

2 Likes

Just as an aside, you could also install EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technology - this keeps the Windows bootloader intact so instead of GRUB running both things, Windows Bootloader controls both Windows and Linux boot options - it's what I used when dual-booting Zorin 9 alongside Windows 7.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.