Wine Installation on Zorin 16.2 Pro

Question; what are you trying to use wine for? Maybe we can find an alternative for it.

to run windows softwares

List them and we'll see if we can find a free alternative that runs on Linux. Relying on wine is not good.

microsoft365, roblox, some games

In that case with Office365. Have you tried WPS office. It behave like 365. There's also OnlyOffice.
Roblox is available through Software Cente via a program called Grapefruit. But if you have to run these Windows apps, you better use Windows in VM.
Check out Lutris for games. It's better than wine for that case.

1 Like

Yes i got it sir, but is there any way to install wine on Zorin 16.2 or it is not compatible?
I appreciate your help sir, thank you so much!

Grapejuice requires wine to be installed :frowning:

I'm no expert on wine, as I don't use it, but try;

sudo apt install winetricks

and see if it solve the dependency problem.

it depends on wine!

For Wine on ZorinOS you can install Windows App Support from Software store or via terminal. See: Windows App Support

im not able to install, idk for which reason

So i finally fixed it, it was by a simple commands:

first i searched for libwine:
sudo apt search libwine

than i installed libwine-dev and libwine/focal:
sudo apt install libwine-dev
sudo apt install libwine/focal

at the end i performed a force install of wine64:
sudo apt install -f wine64

3 Likes

Would be curious to know if you could get Affinity Photo or Designer working!

This is a solution I have not heard of or considered - I have bookmarked this post in case it can help others in future.

If it's not a bother to you, could you please share your experience and the results in using Wine for installing Windows apps especially Microsoft365?? I'm so stuck at Office2010 and can't use other version of Office than Office2010. So I might try to use Microsoft365 on the desktop. I'm currently using it on the Web only. It's okay if you don't want to.

I have never been able to get my copy of Office 2010 to work at all under Wine. But I have Wine that comes with Zorin15.3 Windows App Support.
As for Microsoft365 (aka Office 365) you may be better to use the web apps unless you are doing something exotic regarding formulas or formatting.

I still sort of prefer Office 2010 to 365.

Currently I'm having a college programme that really depends on spreadsheet software (mainly Excel). On most of it, such as using formulas, LibreOffice Calc does good. But when it comes to advance tasks like making Pivot Tables and Pivot Chart, I really need Excel to do those and the result shouldn't be messed up when I submit my work to my lecturer. I have Office2010 on my Zorin using PoL(Wine 3.x), but they still have limitations. And using the Microsoft365 on the web, doesn't that much advantage either. But oh well, I'm pretty sure that my laptop will slow down so much if I can run Microsoft365 bcs of how bloated it is.

Download vmware player and install it. Find win11lite.iso or win10 During installation tell the vmware player that you installing win10 ( if you tell vmware that you installing win11 then want to encrypt the hdd). Depend of amount memory you have split in half. Install win software. That is what I did. Need to run some win software.BTW win7 games do not work well in Wine.

I've installed XtremeLiteOS7 inside gnome-boxes but sadly that version of custom Win7 ISO couldn't be used to install Office2010-Office2013 and Miniconda for installing Orange Data Mining Tool. Now I'm actually using XtremeLiteOS10 in gnome-boxes and it could be used to install Office2010 and Miniconda, but still I prefer Win7 over Win10 bcs it's still so heavy on resources.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.