Wired Internet not working

I upgraded to Zorin 16 Beta. My wifi works but it slow and my wired internet does not work at all. I have tested on another computer and there is no issue with connection on other computers.

lshw -c network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Wi-Fi 6 AX200
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlp3s0
version: 1a
serial: 60:f2:62:51:0e:05
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.8.0-55-generic firmware=55.d9698065.0 cc-a0-55.ucode ip=192.168.0.24 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:29 memory:f6600000-f6603fff
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
version: 04
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: ioport:f000(size=256) memory:f6500000-f650ffff memory:f6510000-f6513fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

It looks like you have a relatively new network card. Linux in general works best with a machine on a bit older side because of the time needed volunteers working on the new hardware.

This page might help you:
https://www.miklix.com/linux/getting-intel-ax200-wi-fi-to-work-on-ubuntu-20-04/

1 Like

A search "RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller Ubuntu 20.04" comes up with:

Not sure if any of that will help you.

1 Like

I forgot to mention.
To solve the internet connection, you got be able to connect to the internet :roll_eyes:
To solve this dilemma, I have a USB WiFi dongle which always works in Linux. They are quite inexpensive, around 5 to 6 Euro each. Look for the chipset either RT5370 or 8188cus (both are from Realtek).

Er... Catch 22.

1 Like

Well, almost.
But now we all have a mobile phone with data link - that would at least let you order a USB dongle at Amazon :grin:

1 Like

Rosa, as I recall, you had this same trouble on Zorin 15.3, right?

I had a slightly different issue with the wifi, but that solution did not work on 16. I never did get the wired connection working on 15.3 but because wifi was working fine I just left it. I'm going to try running through some of the suggestions above and will mark which one works. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

The solution listed in one of these worked to get the wired connection finally working. I have copied the solution and pasted it below.

" I downloaded the driver from the realtek website to get the 2.5G Ethernet LINUX driver r8125 for kernel up to 5.6

From a Terminal window run:

sudo apt install r8168-dkms (this package was needed in order to run the r8125-90004.01 diver script with no errors)

cd /home/username/Downloads

cd r8125-90004.01

sudo chmod +x autorun.sh

sudo ./autorun.sh

sudo reboot

2 Likes

Please keep in mind that whenever you Upgrade the kernel, due to dkms, you will need to repeat this procedure to reinstall your driver. So keep a copy of this in a .txt file your Documents for easy access, too.

1 Like

Or you could do the same thing I did recently.

I wrote several tutorials for this forum regarding installation and configuration of Zorin. Not only those tutorials help others, I know exactly where to look for next time I need those informations myself :wink:

You could always bookmark this thread for future reference. Just click on the "..." to find bookmark tool.