Wireless internet not working

Hi, I install Zorin OS Lite 15.3 (alongside with windows 10). After the install I was unable to connect to my wi-fi. It tells me "device not ready". Sadly, my lenovo ultrabook does not have ethernet port...
But Bluetooth works just fine.
Please help!(eg. what commands to run or what else to do, because i am completely new to Zorin or Linux)

Sorry for my bad English.

Hi,

Welcome to the Zorin forum :slight_smile:

Your English is perfect, we can understand everything :slight_smile:

Can you please type this in terminal and share here output :

ls /sys/class/net
nmcli general status
rfkill list
1 Like

It sounds like your firmware needs to be updated. But this would require access to the internet to download it. Do you have any access?

In the meantime, maybe changing the PowerSave setting that can interfere with wifi may help... Copy and paste the below into terminal (open with ctrl+alt+t) and then hit the enter key

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

ls /sys/class/net
lo wlp1s0
nmcli general status
STATE | CONNECTIVITY | WIFI-HW | WWAN-HW | WWAN
DISCONECTED | UNKNOWN |ENABLED |ENABLED |ENABLED
rfkill list
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked : no
Hard blocked : no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft locked : no
Hard Blocked : no

1 Like

I dont have any method to connect :frowning:¨

Sorry but i write this in the win 10 os and when i try to log to zorin, i must restart the laptop which deletes the copied message.

In cases like this, I would write a terminal command out on a notepad or save it in a .txt file on a USB stick.
If the Win10 machine has net- that will provide a Download point if you have a USB stick to transfer the package over to Zorin with.

ok thanks

Do you have a USB stick or other means of Transfer?

yes
i work on it

Ok, please download this firmware package:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.187_all.deb

Save it to USB.
Boot into Zorin OS
In the app menu, open Software & Updates
Other Software Tab > select cdrom:[Zorin-OS 16 Core...
Open a terminal with ctrl+alt+t and enter in

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Hopefully... this will use the Zorin OS Installation Media as your upgrade source.
It may give 404 errors.
Once done, back in Software &Updates unselect cdrom:[Zorin-OS 16....
Insert your usb stick with the LinuxFirmware package on it and double click it to run the installer. Once that is done, please reboot and test.

but how i download it?
when i open the link it automatically close the window(without the downlod screen)

Is it doing this on your windows 10 computer?

yes yes

I cannot help you much there... It should give a Download Confirmation Pop up window...

so, what i can do now? ://

Does the Try Zorin on the ZorinLIveUSB connect to the net?

no no

how can i download it with curl on win10?

You would probably know how to use cURL on Windows 10 better than I would.
The link is to a regular Download of Package; it is browser based, not windows or Linux based.
Maybe try using a different Browser like Firefox.

thanks, i can download it