Wireless performance issues

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any wifi performance related issues after installing Zorin? I was using Mint previously and it was working fine. Installed Zorin a few weeks ago and i'm experiencing really slow speeds and poor reception (I can be standing a few feet away from my access point and only get half signal). Other than that, I am loving Zorin OS.

Using an Elitebook 840 G6. Any tips are appericated!

You might try navigating to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf and changing the value wifi.powersave = 3 to wifi.powersave = 2

You can do this in terminal easily with

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

Once done, press ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save as current configuration.
Reboot and test.

If you prefer the GUI method, elevate your File manager to Root

sudo -i

nautilus

Click in the Left Pane on "Other locations". Then select "computer". This should place you in Root directory.
Navigate to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/

Open default-wifi-powersave-on.conf in a text editor.
Change the value from 3 to 2.
Save and exit.
Reboot and test.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I have updated "wifi.powersave" to a value of 2.

I just remembered I had also installed TLP. Do you think that would have anything to do with it?

1 Like

Yes, it can. The default TLP configuration is for Powersave to be set to On (Value =2).

2 Likes

Excellent post from Aravisian, hope that is able to help. Also, I'd like to add more options available to you via Dconf editor GUI.

Hold CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

Type in....

sudo apt install dconf-editor

Enter your password when asked, then press the Y key when prompted.

Launch Dconf, by clicking the :zorin: ICON lower left of screen, then just type DCONF, click on the app to launch.

Please navigate to......

org, gnome, settings-daemon, plugins, power

You can set things in here how you need them to be, but be careful, do not change anything that you do not know what it does, until you have done a Google search first, or asked us.

Hope this helps for future reference. I like Dconf, cause it gives me access to certain configurations in the OS, that can't be found elsewhere. While much of these can indeed be adjusted in terminal, its easier for me anyways, to use a GUI interface.

2 Likes

This is a really cool tool, i've never heard of before. Thanks for sharing! It does not appear that changing default-wifi-powersave-on.conf fixed the problem. I checked TLP and I can see that I do actually have the wireless power saving options enabled here, so i'm going to disable and see if that is what's causing my problem.

2 Likes

I predict a 95% chance that having that enabled in TLP was causing your issues.

I love cool tools in Linux as well. One of the first things that I install when I finish installing an OS, is I install the following programs.

Synaptic Package Manager...
HardInfo...
CPU-X...
Stacer...
Psensor...

Plus I install a bunch of extensions, for which I just made a post about that yesterday on the forum as well.

Its all about customizing the OS to work for you.

2 Likes

y-ppa-manager

Yeah it looks like TLP was the problem. Walked around my place and the signal is great in every room. Thanks!

Not to get off topic but what do you like about synaptic better than the software manager that is included? Is it just a different front-end for apt?

I never considered a PPA manager, thats cool!

And BTW, Aravisian was the one who turned me onto a new one recently called inxi. That is a nice command line tool to have. :slight_smile:

Zorin OS machine...

POP OS machine...

1 Like

Synaptic Package Manager is far more powerful then the Software Center.

Synaptic can install more software then you can find in the Software Center.

You can also remove software or re-install software via Synaptic.

Synaptic allows you to fix broken package.

Synaptic allows you to easily lock packages from getting installed in an update.

Like I said, it has much more functionality then that of Software Center. It is a bit daunting for new users, a bit of a learning curve in using it. But once figured out, you will love Synaptic Package Manager.

One of the most useful is also that Synaptic enables you to choose your server- either per package or for all packages.

I've never used that function yet in Synaptic. I can see how that it might be useful for some. But I believe you can also do that from Software & Updates too.

You can choose Source, but not server. You are locked into Focal.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.