Would you like zorin as daily driver and why?

Hmm i don't have a glowing "Z". It just stays black after the POST-Message until the mouse appears.

Ok, that is definitely missing for you then, is this a live system? Cause I don't recall boot screen on the live session I used only after installing.

But I'll let the other, more experienced helpers here take over, like @Aravisian, @StarTreker, @FrenchPress. :slight_smile:

Before I changed my system theme, I saw the Zorin Boot splash, it was located at the bottom of the screen, and it was small, and the logo would pulsate in animation.

Some can see the boot splash animation, some don't, it depends on a persons computer I suppose.

For the record, when I changed my theme system wide, it got rid of the Zorin boot splash, and changed it to a straight and blue colored bar that I could see momentarily until its booted to the login screen.

Other's have expressed wanting to see the Zorin boot splash if they weren't able to before, none of us have really found a way to make them able to actually see it. We don't really know what the cause of not seeing it is, unless its simply hardware related.

Aravisian brought up the fact that possibly if your computer is a super fast machine, it might be booting into the OS far too fast for you to see the boot splash. It is true that my machine that has Zorin OS 16 PRO on it, is an old machine, and thereby slow, so maybe his idea is correct.

Either way, boot splash logo's are really not the most important part of an OS. The most important job that an OS has, is providing you the ability to use your computer, to provide you the tools, to get things done.

If Zorin OS can do that, you have a solid OS my friend, congratulations, there's your winner winner chicken dinner.

2 Likes

Well there is difference between a student using zorin as daily driver and a normal or pro user using zorin as daily driver.

I don't know but I guess linux and windows dual boot would be the better idea.

I know!! Even I like that but would love to see if it was a little modern I don't like zorin logo
#nooffence
But it feels like the "Z" is ina box the 20th gen manner instead it should be free and should feel like we are in the 21st gen.
I guess the logo should be a little futuristic.
And not like windows which is stuck with the same thing from eternity.

I guess windows is just making its logo worst and worst .
Tho, I know a logo is very important for a company so I think zorin should take a look at that if they have time.

Even on live system I can see the logo I guess what @StarTreker said is right.

But then I will miss that gorgeous logo( it makes me feel like I am on a Mac):cry:

Must say I do see that glowing "Z" but I don't think my system is old - It's a 8 gen Intel NUC with a i7 processor - NUC8i7BEH.

It's pretty fast, reinstalling Zorin16Core only takes 4.19 m from the moment after partitioning until when I'm notified to restart.
The booting time right after countdown in Grub (set to 5 sec) until the appearance of the login/logon screen is 20 sec and the shutdown time is 5.12 sec.

And I still use dualboot (Windows and Zorin). Perhaps most people still have to depend on Windows, could be work related, this I understand.
I still use it for my mail, banking and some gaming like Fifa.

But 90% of the time I use Zorin because of the stability, customizing ability and the amount of apps you can install for personal and entertainment usage. This all is a great advantage compared to Windows.

well that's a pretty good boot time!! :clap:
i will have to depend on windows, just if my college uses too much word,powerpoint, etc because liberoffice to word tranformation is terrible.
but my main work will be on zorin since vs code runs so much better on zorin than windows

If you guys want to see the science of your boot times...

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal

systemd-analyze

On my Zorin machine, running my new Star Labs theme....

Startup finished in 7.973s (kernel) + 13.848s (userspace) = 21.821s graphical.target reached after 13.810s in userspace

Oh yeah, well beat this.

Screenshot from 2021-10-29 09-48-13

Hahaha, just kidding, thats why I don't consider my system as old.

1 Like

Well I don't mind the missing logo at boot. Boot time takes about 10 seconds.

Maybe it just depends on the hardware. It it an i5-3570 and at GT610 GPU. And of course a SSD. I'll install Zorin on a other PC at home (atm I'm at work) and will see. hmmmm chicken...

/edit: Oh maybe it is because I run at Legacy-bios-mode and not UEFI.

Please note, while your in competition mode and everything, its easy to understand why you beat my Zorin machine. Its because my Zorin machine is an old Intel P6200 dual core machine from 2011 with 8GB of RAM, Intel HD graphics, no discreet GPU, and an upgraded Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD drive.

And yes, I agree your machine is fast, but its really no comparison in this case. Thats like taking a station wagon to a Lambergini race, who you think is gonna win? Exactly lol. Now my MSI machine, which is the machine I am on right now, would you like to take a look at my Neofetch?

I thought since you were in the whole competing mood and everything...

Ohhhhhhh, I'm quite afraid my system will be fully operational when Zorin OS LITE is released. Waaaa HA HA HA HA :grin:

1 Like

Hmmm My kernal loads faster :smiley: but than.. hmmm

My machine is so old it take approx 40-50 seconds to boot :cry::cry:

Perhaps the difference could be the samsung 970 plus 500gb nvme ssd, I'm using.?

I am guessing your running on a mechanical drive, cause that boot time would sound about right then. But please don't feel bad Ayush ok? I don't want you to ever feel bad seeing all our newer fancy computers, it doesn't mean that yours is bad ok?

Your computer does what you need it to do right? Well, then its a good computer then. Sure, would you like it to be faster? Yes I am sure you do. But just as I lived with my old computer for 9-years, I was patient until I could buy my new one.

So be patient, save up some money, then you can buy a new machine. But I don't want you to feel bad Ayush. You've been fun to talk to on the board BTW, way to hang out, contribute some posts, build community, thats what I like to see.

Your doing great! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nicely formulated StarTreker!

1 Like

PCIE Gen 3 NVME drives operate around 3500 MBPS MAX speed from last years generation. PCIE Gen 4 NVME drives can operate up to 7500 MBPS MAX speed from this years generation. So ya, I think its safe to say, nothing beats a good NVME drive at your side.

However, like I said to Ayush, I don't want him to feel bad about the tech in his computer. I don't want him to feel sad. We have what we have, and we must accept what we have until we can have better.

@Ayush
78 postings and thread is still growing!
You seem to started one of the most popular threads here in the forum :stuck_out_tongue:

I am glad that your keyboard problem has been fixed. I remember you were not very happy at the beginning on that support thread :wink:

1 Like

Yes indeed. I just got a SATA-SSD on here.