Xfce vs Gnome DE

Until then, you can’t join our ultra-cool Xfce-clique. Hah! I’m finally cool,…I think.

Are you posting using your phone, or have you beaten that new Xfce Lite install to accept your forum password?
I hope that is just an expereiment and that I am not going to be the only one left to answer Core and Gnomish questions going forward. :crazy_face:

Nope. Still on phone. I’ll answer where i can - I should still remember some about gnome. And there is always Aravisian who remembers everything about every Linux distro and/or DE ever created.

They would be installed, but not all running at the same time. It can handle it, because it would not be handling anything different.
On the old notebook, I had installed at one point all at the same time:

• Kodi
  • Zorin OS Lite Desktop
  • Mate
  • Cinnamon
  • Enlightenment
  • Awesome
  • Fluxbox

You praise me with faint damns. Sadly, utterly untrue and I spend more time stumped or lost trying to help others on the forum than I do actually knowing anything.

It isn’t CPU or RAM that is constrained, it is the minimal HDD root partition I have. Every app and update etc has to justify its existence.

1 Like

I'm an idiot - why am I even a mod on here? Oh that's right, Aravisian recommended me. You guys sure you want to be taking advice from him?

Turns out I had changed my password at some point to add two more characters - I don't recall why or when. My phone password list showed it. So, now I'm back on with my computer. God, I hate phones - I don't know how people use them for long-term typing.

Anyway, I took the extra time to install Ultimate Lite and now I'm on Xfce. I like it except:

1. Dragging is not as friendly as Gnome DE.
  2. Thunar has no "expandable folders" option (where you click a little arrow next to the folder and it shows all the contents within the same window) - at least I'm not aware of one.
  3. I have to use the keyboard assigned function keys to adjust brightness - Gnome had the option in the system tray.
    Other than those 3, Xfce has better optionality presentability. And of course, now I have a gazillion programs installed that I have to sift through but that's a feature of Ultimate rather than of Xfce.

I haven't played any taxing games yet, so I can't opine on that. Maybe down the line.

PS - Still interesting though that the forum refused to send me a password reset email since it did recognize my registered email. Oh well. Don't ever lose your password.

2 Likes

Your beginning statement was hilarious Carmar. Yes, we still wan't you to continue being a moderator, cause I sure as heck don't want to be one. LOL

As with any distro, its a learning experience. And I bet you can find ways around those issues you expressed in the future. In the meantime, you will notice how much more customisable it is.

Play around with it, have fun, I know you will!

Careful saying that around the Zorins. I am pretty sure I am on their Kill List right now. You might end up demoted.
Glad you got PW issue fixed, though.

Hit ctrl+e to make expandable treeview.

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/brightness

Not sure what you mean on this one.

1 Like

Thanks for the ctrl+e - the expandable is only in the left pane (a la Windows), in Gnome it was on the right pane, but that's good enough.
I could have sworn I didn't see the display brightness before but I see it now under the battery system tray. I'm losing it - my only explanation.
By dragging, I meant when I drag files/folders around the desktop when sorting them, if I get too close to a folder, the file is moved inside of it. I've learned to be careful, but in Gnome, I could get right up next to another folder without getting sucked into it. No biggie, I've learned to be careful.
And as ST noted earlier, Xfce is very customizable. Gnome wasn't bad but still had fewer features. Such as the Session and Startup manager.

Are you referring to Desktop Icons or within the file manager itself? I just tested on Thunar and it does not auto-drop a file into another folder, even if I hover all over the top of it and wink a little bit.

So what about the updates and changes in Gnome 40, what do the XCFE- and the Gnome-users think about Gnome 40 ?

https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/40.0/

I found this line from your link interesting:

Be it Flatpak or distribution packages, GNOME Software now tells you where you’re installing your software from.
Some work happened behind the scenes to improve how Software presents information about new packages.

https://imgur.com/a/uBY4GFh

Interesting. I changed corsair mouse to logitech g502 and my linux working 2 days good.
We will see how long i uninstalled snap and flatpak.
Using xfce DE.

I know it is not really 'on-topic' but for me the way forward should be:
Plasma (KDE), for Core, and LXQt (the even lighter version of LXDE which it was made to replace - not saying same devs but where I read somewhere). Plus Plasma and LXQt share the same Qt libraries - so good compatibility! Whenever I run LXQt I see my Plasma apps in the Menu!

Gnome want be like a big elephant fb Zuckeberg.

Gnome is becoming like Henry Ford when he launched the 'Model-T' that my Grandfather had - "You can have any colour you want ... so long as it is black!"

1 Like

They wrote not working.
Here is more but idk if this coming from @zorink maybe @Aravisian have some esperience with that.
https://extensions.gnome.org/accounts/profile/ItzSwirlz

1 Like

That is not from the ZorinGroup.
But as you tagged the Zorins, they should be aware of that pretty soon. :wink:

Zorin xfce after uninstall snap and flatpak I have information manager for enviroment gnome or this is my missunderastanding POlari and under describe what is it. Then Zorin 17 will be fruits in mixer. xD - will be wondering what kind fruits will be more?