Xfce vs Gnome DE

Lite sounds a bit like stripped down. In fact, it is not. I've installed it on my HD because I knew what I was doing and I must say this is the most elegant version of Xfce I've ever seen (bear in mind my first Linux was Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog and from that day I've always used Linux on my desktops). Actually, IMHO Lite is much more elegant than the Gnome edition because "it is the way it is" without extensions and workarounds. It's cleaner. It's not even a "pure" Xfce because of Gedit, Registers, Baobab, Disks and some other software taken from Gnome...

Ok, I could talk about it for hours but I stop here. Just to say thay maybe Lite is not the best name for it.

3 Likes

I could not agree more. It really bothers me how the Zorin Downlaod page refers to the Gnome desktop as the "Advanced" desktop and to lite as "For older computers...." This is not an accurate portrayel.
I would honestly consider XFCE to be the "Advanced" desktop, if I were forced to use the word, since it comes complete, fully fleshed out and Whole - unlike Gnome. Gnome needs all manner of Extensions; many of which cause troubles of their own.

1 Like

I must sayed I liked very much Zorin XFCE with only .deb packages. Uninstalled snap and flatpak.

Gnome 43 someone tried?

Still on Gnome 42.3 on my Fedora. But in a weeks time they are rolling out a new Fedora which have the latest Gnome.

I hope willa be all working great.

New xfce

Still something new and choices could be a challenge.

1 Like

@Aravisian your DE is on top list first place.

In 4.18 will be repaired a windows manager called quicktile? I mean a windows resize to trying to catch with a point click mouse.

Don't take it as a holy grail all these videos as they are based on the users opinion. You see Pantheon on top of the list? It's an abomination (elementary OS)

2 Likes

Balans and salt on a head is good choices for me.

Index of /xfce/4.18/ here is all stuff to test 4.18
First Look at XFCE 4.18 Desktop Environment, This Is What’s New - YouTube

I tested 4.18 xfce what exist on mxlinux newest version on virtual machine. It is just polishing but still the same problem with windows. I see there is a problem with a windows manager called quicktile. Problematic catch a corner a open window or resize them.

How to move screen to another monitor.