Z17 source configured multiple times

I had a weird one:

After installing (now on 17 with the ZorinBook :grin:), I got a weird error from apt update. One source was configured multiple times.. odd. So, since it gave which line, went into the sources list and commented it out - no more errors! :+1:

Definitely strange but, no more issues. Was a duplicate of what was already above it. Not sure if that was just a hiccup or something duped from install..

But, I'm now on 17!! :sunglasses:

same here, right after a fresh install. how exactly did you fix it? or did you just made it stop showing the errors?

So, at the bottom of the apt update results, it gives the error -- and it should show something that ends with.../etc/apt/sources.list:26.... which, line 26 is where the duplicate was. So, I used nano to open /etc/apt/sources.list, went down to the 26th line and put a '#' (hash) in front of the two sources. Then Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to close - reboot - sudo apt update no errors.

The :26 could be any number for yours. But, that's the line indicator to tell you what line to check / edit. I guess technically since it was a duplicate, I could have just removed the lines altogether but, didn't haha But, for now at least, they're commented out.

2 Likes

you got just one error line or many? because when I followed your steps I am getting this errors now:

Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is help by process 990 (packatekitd)
Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break your system.
Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Maybe this issue should be split off as Z17 Feedback or General Help.
I think this thread is aimed at suggestions of what would be good to add to your new Z17 install, rather than diagnosing a Z17 installation issue.

4 Likes

That error means that something else is already reading the sources list, probably the Software Store or a background process doing some updates. Close it, or wait until any updates are done, and the "lock" will be released for you to edit those files.

For general advice, honestly I think @anon2532484 is spot on: play around and explore the system, what you can change and how to change things around, etc.
Many video or online blogs will list things that may or may not make sense for your use case, and you won't learn as much.

Maybe you want to go through some of the setups that people shared over at this thread, and try to replicate them yourself. This can be a good starting point to learn about the different components that are available in the settings, extensions, etc.

2 Likes

A few errors, related to the same line - a duplicate of what was already in the list - pretty simple.

Comment out the duplicate - no errors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.