Zorin 15.3 Lite install fails "grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install"

This is a 32-bit install on an HP Stream laptop (i.e. only 2 GB memory and 30 GB SSD) which fails at the very end of the process with the error message "grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install to target". After reading entries regarding similar problems I have:
1) Not checked the option to load proprietary drivers
2) Disabled secure boot in the BIOS
3) Enabled legacy boot in the BIOS
All to no effect - the install fails at the very same place. Oddly enough the OS seems successfully installed in that it can be used - just not shut off and rebooted. There are at least two videos showing a working Zorin install on an HP Stream so it can be done - any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you installing alongside of any other operating system?

Turns out the Celeron chip in the HP Stream is 64-bit rather than 32 I had thought and when I installed the 64-bit ISO the process completed without a hitch. Which I find puzzling since I've run several 32-bit systems on 64-bit hardware without problems - in fact even in this case the OS actually seemed to run just fine as I noted, just the loader wouldn't install. I'm new to Linux, can anyone explain?

1 Like

You can install a 32bit OS on a 64bit system. You cannot install a 64bit OS on a 32bit system.
You can also run 32bit mode software on a 64bit computer.

It is, technically, possible to install a 64bit OS on a 32bit machine, but it would take a lot of configuring (and possibly some hardware configuring) and is not usually worth the effort.