Zorin 15.3 Lite - No Zoom-Client Option To Install

Per title - Zorin 15.3 Lite 64bit on a Dell i3 laptop- No Zoom-Client Option To Install. WebEx either for that matter. Don't tell me this can't happen - deal breaker.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?
Are you having difficulty installing them? Dependency problem?

To install both:

wget https://binaries.webex.com/WebexDesktop-Ubuntu-Official-Package/Webex.deb

wget https://zoom.us/client/latest/zoom_amd64.deb

sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb && sudo apt install ./Webex.deb

Install zoom-client on Ubuntu using the Snap Store | Snapcraft worked with no issue.

This Zorin procedure does not work for this version:

Searching zoom or zoom-client shows no package

And webex?

Zoom-client is included in the Zoom Package. Just for future reference.

For 15.3 Lite 64 bit, Zoom or Zoom-client package DOES NOT show up as an application when searching same in "Zorin Menu>SOFTWARE" packages. Sorry, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't. The Snap install functionality worked fine.

1 Like

I have just searched "zoom" in Software Store on Z15.3 Core. The only thing found was Zoom Client as a Snap.

I've taken a personal dislike to Zoom from the first El Reg (The Register) reporting that they had lied at launch about it being encrypted. I prefer no app install and use https:/meet.jit.si in a chrome extension enabled browser of your choice. Just to validate how good it is I helped a retired community nurse in Florida to install Windows 10 via chat window who is (was?) a Zorin forum member and was in contact for 4 hours with no loss of connection. You can enable encryption if you want to in Jitsi but doing so prevents recording of any meeting, which makes sense as encryption means only participants can access and view but not record as recording defeats the object of encryption for confidential meetings. It can be linked to Google and Outlook Calendars too. No brainer.

1 Like

I use Zoom with a group of friends (who seem to only want to use the 'brand name' vid chat so they can put pictures up in the background) but I use Jitsi when chatting with family. They both work the same. Only difference is that Zoom is used on a friends company's corporate account. And when he can't chat we have to use the 40 minute free version. I use jitsi with family chats, and with my nephew who's over seas for work for hours as we watch and complaint over the NY Jets games. Misery loves company.....lol My choice, Jitsi :slight_smile:

FWIW, I installed zoom for my wife using the .deb - works fine.

But do we really know if it's safe? Same question applies to Skype (or Teams - Skype for business re-branded) - as the co-ordinator of our local Linux User Group once commented, whilst the 'ends' might be encrypted, what is going on at the 'middle' and who is 'watching' the middle! :wink:

Agreed.
Teams - I have no choice if I want a paycheck. My company uses Windows OS so I don’t think it can get any worse. Well,... they could switch to Mac so I should count my blessings.
Zoom - wife has no choice if she wants a paycheck from her college.
Skype - I use it to send nonsense to my friends (~same quality of my posts here) I’ve no problem with anyone peeking into that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.