Zorin 15.3 not recognizing 4k HDMI Monitor

Interesting, but I have a feeling this is not up to HDMI output but drivers. At the moment I have Manjaro or I can install Zorin again… .if someone knows how to put those desktops onto manjaro or zorin I am happy to try, but I dont think this is the case.

The article does not refer to HDMI output, but to HiDPI monitors, which relates to your issue.

Interestingly, Cinnamon is on that list. Which is what I am using and I have had no such troubles, in spite of our hardware being very similar. Could it be a Desktop Environment issue instead of a Kernel or Graphical driver issue? That seems plausible.

I am total noob to linux insides, but I am somehow 99.9 percent positive this will not work. I am happy to install Zorin again and try.
So do you you use Zorin and Cinnamon on top? I didnt try that yet, but I base my conclusion from more and more experience and reading as well as from experience from installing at least 10 distros in the last few months.

We are not exactly in disagreement. I would say I am closer to 79%.
Yes, I use Zorin LITE with Cinnamon installed - in a particular way, I might add.
If you would like to give it a shot just for kicks, you will need the Embrosyn repo. Do not use the Ubuntu Repo to install Cinnamon.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon

sudo apt update

Then, install the pieces in this order:

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-common

Once those are complete, then

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-desktop-environment

Ok, will try sometime today, btw, can I install normal Zorin core and rest of procedures?

yup…

Just thought I would let you know that I installed MATE Tweak (mate-tweak) in FerenOS and go the option to change monitor scaling to HiDPi but little point as I don’t have that monitor - on the downside it added Gnome 2 Panel theming over the KDE Plasma Panel - same result in Cinnamon DE on Zorin Core because it was not running Ubuntu MATE.

Just did installation, not much luck. I have attached screenshot with system info that is clearly visible that Zorin found all drivers (seems to me). But something else is missing? Hdmi? Not a word. or something else.

You are certain that Secure Boot is disabled, right?

EDIT in... TOo many tabs at once, I cannot find the thread I was reading that suggested this, but somewhere, someone said to put in terminal:

xrandr --output "nameYourHDMI" --mode "yourResolution"

You will need your monitor ID to name your hdmi.

quick update, just upgraded bios as well, but seems same, secure boot is disabled

How do I know what my monitor is id? Do I run manjaro from USB to find out?

Usually with

xrandr -q

That has not worked before...
If it is HDMI, it usually is just listed as hdmi1
You could try

xrandr | grep " connected " | awk '{ print$1 }'

Just for kicks- ensure that python3 is installed.

Happy to install python, one of the main reasons I want to use linux more and more
output

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 77.00*

Just installed PycharmCE and run Helloworld, that seems Python 3 is installed? Right?

output from grep
rob@rob-TUF-Gaming-FA706II-FA706II:~/Desktop$ xrandr | grep " connected " | awk ‘{ print$1 }’
awk: cmd. line:1: ‘{
awk: cmd. line:1: ^ invalid char ‘�’ in expression

tryinig with double quotes " I got this

xrandr | grep " connected " | awk “{ print$1 }”
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/External-Monitor-not-working-Ubuntu-nvidia/m-p/7286631#M1634

This thread should win the biggest thread in the history of this site badge, holy moly. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, peanut gallery comment finished, get back to your regularly scheduled program…Unless…

And now for something completely different!

Dogs need Apple I guess. HEHE :stuck_out_tongue:

yer image be broked.

Never Apple, only if my employer requests.

2 Likes

Hahah, I just got home (as wifi drivers do not work) connected to wire and from Linux I can see this doggy above, but from Windows is invisible unless you go to new tab.
Moral of the story, go Linux

I have tried some of the procedures, but most of them I don’t even know how to do it due to my limit knowledge of Linux. I have a feeling I will go Manjaro and can put Cinnamon or other desktop environments. Btw is there any testing benchmark Linux app that I can use for testing speed of Linux OS?