Zorin 16.1 - Black Screen After Login & Brightness control is not working

Hi, the issue here is I am using a HP laptop which has a AMD A9 CPU and Radeon R5 integrated graphics.

Everything was working fine but one day when I logged in the screen was completely black.

Everything sounds to be right, I mean while I use the volume keys, the sound is working fine and I am even able to use the terminal using the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to shut down the pc but the screen is completely black.

I restarted the pc in recovery mode, check for broken packages and then resume the boot and the black screen was fixed (at least in that session) but then I realized the brightness controll was not working.

I'm not really sure why this is happening, I really like Zorin and don't want to give up on it so if you help me it will be great. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried rolling back to the previous kernel to test if the black screen remains?
Tap the esc or the tab key after seeing yuor Motherboard splash screen to access the grub menu, then choose Advanced Options for Zorin
Arrow key down to the previous earlier kernel and hit enter to boot from it.
If it works with no black screen, lock in the kernel:

I did it, but the same problem remains... I manage to find that in Settings> Display the display is Unknown and when I run the command xrandr --monitors it log an error saying something like: couldn't find the size of the default value.

Thinking about it, it might be a driver problem but I'm not really sure about it.
Like I said my graphics are AMD Radeon R5.

Please help :pensive:

Couldn't find the size of Gamma?

I agree. The AMD graphics drivers are Included in the Linux Kernel - this is why I asked you test rolling back to the previous working kernel.
Can you relay the output of

uname -r

Run on the affected machine? You can run the terminal from the Prompt in the Recovery menu.

I just turned on the computer and the screen
was completely fine but I tried changing the display from landscape to vertical and the black screen appeared again.

The xrandt error was: failed to get size of gamma for output default.

And when I run the uname -r command the log is: 5.13.0-44-generic

That is the latest Kernel on Zorin OS.
Can you please test using the 5.13.0-40 kernel?

The choices that appear for me are this ones: 0.44 & 0.30

Processing: 20220529_032204.jpg...

Even if I try to use the another kernel the error remains :frowning_face:

You tried the .30?

Can you please try adding this repository for AMD graphics dfrivers:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Then apply them with:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Reboot and test...

I'm trying to run the command in the recovery mode CLI before getting into the login screen but there is an error that says: Cannot add ppa... '"oibaf'" user or team does not exist.

Please ensure that this is typed correctly:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

It seems to be working fine, I don't know how to thank you since I cannot be more graceful. Ty so much :partying_face:

BUT in the other hand I tested it changing the display orientation and when I change it from landscape to portrait the same error ocurred. However I don't use the portrait orientation but that error stayed there. Ty so much again.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.