Zorin 16.2 core shutdown problem

Good day, everyone. I'm experiencing a major issue with Zorin. Please assist. I'm currently using Zorin 16.2 Core. It's really lovely, and I really like it, however when I bring it in to charge, it immediately shuts down. My laptop is somewhat old, but it can run Windows 10, and before moving to Zorin OS, I ran Pop OS. That was never a problem for me. I close every setting that I know can cause my laptop to shut down. It was entirely shut down, like when I push the power button for 5 seconds and it turns off. My laptop is notoriously difficult to open, thus this is a major issue for me. Please help me. I really love zorin and I don't want to change.
download

It was like I put the charger in and then it completely immediately shutdown. The blue light also disappear and it almost like crush. But I check the laptop isn't overheat nor dropping preformance. I mostly use broswer and video player. I don't play game.

Lots of reasons this could happen:

1. Did you install Zorin over top of PopOS or did you do a clean install?
  2. Is the battery in good condition?
  3. Did you install another power management system?
  4. Have you upgraded/altered the kernel?

Also, a list of your specs and model would be helpful.

1 Like

I clean install it. I format everything and just install the zorin.I think my battery is good but still I am not sure. I did install tlp I guess and mention in the post that said thing you should do after install zorin os. I update everything. And there is no sign like said I have to do something or anything. Please help me.

Do this command in terminal and let me see the output:

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0

Should look something like this

2 Likes

This is a summarized description:

Also, interesting links, all in the first search results page:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/722885/laptop-shuts-off-when-charger-gets-plugged-in/

Maybe check S.M.A.R.T. test results on Disks, the option is on the button on the left of Minimize.

Have you had a look at this suggested pre-installation checklist. Before you install

So you did not have this problem running PopOS.
I see you have ZorinOS 16.2 Core. Did you test the SHA256 checksum of the .iso against the checksum published on the Zorin website?

As others have asked, please provide more hardware specification details.

ok, try this, then:

upower -e

and let me see the output

Sorry for the late reply bro. Please help me if you can. Everything is greate and battery life is even better than window for me. I just need to solve this problem and I be good

Ok thanks, now do this command:

and show the result.

aungthura@aungthura-Aspire-ES1-431:~$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
native-path: BAT1
vendor: SANYO
model: AL12A32
serial: 15945
power supply: yes
updated: Sun 18 Jun 2023 10:52:42 AM +0630 (50 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: discharging
warning-level: none
energy: 26.1368 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 29.5556 Wh
energy-full-design: 37 Wh
energy-rate: 4.588 W
voltage: 16.248 V
time to empty: 5.7 hours
percentage: 88%
capacity: 79.88%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: 'battery-full-symbolic'
History (charge):
1687062162 88.000 discharging
History (rate):
1687062162 4.588 discharging

Your battery appears to be discharging

state: discharging

while plugged in...

power supply: yes

and its capacity is severely compromised.

capacity: 79.88%

It's designed for 37 Watt Hours, but it only holds 29 watt hours.

energy-full: 29.5556 Wh
energy-full-design: 37 Wh

This means it will find it difficult to run for any long periods off of your power supply and could shut off, as you said, even though it shows charged.

It also could mean the capacitors or resistors in your power system are not doing their job and could also be compromised.

I suggest having someone locally look at it and determine if those are the actual reasons. I am diagnosing it based on data, but there could be other physical issues I am not aware of like loose plugs or wires that have lost adhesion to the solder. That's a very common thing for older machines with barrel plugs. Especially when those plugs are near the hinge.

For now, just try not to unplug it while it is running. Do a shutdown if you need to move the machine.

One last thing: Your computer appears to only have about 4.5 watts to run:

energy-rate: 4.588 W

Not used to seeing such a low number.

Apparently you are using an older Acer Aspire. While older hardware is usable with Zorin, I am curious if you are using the Lite version or Core.

Lastly, it's not looking good for your specific computer/battery combo, according to this chart:

Been a known issue since Zorin 15.

Another question: Did you buy that battery as a replacement? That goes to an Acer Aspire V5, but you have the ES1. They might have similar connectors, but their capacity differs as each machine has different processors requiring much different wattage.

2 Likes

My laptop is acer es1-432 .
I just install core 16.2 since my laptop can run window 10 and it also not lag. I don't replace battery it original but it does have a problem like I told in my question it took so much time to open the laptop. But it okay it just a old laptop so the error and problem can't be avoid anyway. It pretty good and smooth anyway so. Thank you man. Thank you very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.