Zorin 16 available ISOs

Recent Ubuntu based Linux distributions all create an appropriate Swap file during the installation. My netbook has one there already.

I need to create a Swap partition (not a Swap file) if I want to run VMWare, but that is a special use case.

1 Like

As an aside;
One of the rreasons I am on this forum as I am is due to the testing I have given Zorin OS compared to many other distros. When it comes to speed and performance, as well as support, Zorin OS is the clear winner on most fronts. But not on all fronts, all of the time.
On a low spec, older machine, Antix Linux remains blazing fast. It is non-systemd and very lightweight. It has a slight learning curve. It uses a different layout, package management and desktop environment than Zorin OS does. But it is very easy to learn, to use and to configure. On my old toughbook, Zorin OS and Antix Linux are neck and neck on most things with Antix taking the lead on loading speed.
It is definitely worth looking into, as well.

That is what MXLinux is based on. While we were looking for the Linux distribution with minimum overhead we tested Antix as well as MX. My husband finally decided on MXLinux because of the ease of use. MXLinux still offers 32bit version. It also uses XFCE as a desktop which should be easy to make a transition from Zorin Lite.

Yes, I love MXLinux, too. It has a great installer with a lot of New User help. MX Linux has caught some contention due to its support of having the systemd option in a non-systemd OS. But I agree with MX Linux on this one. What MXLinux did was allowed User Choice in the use of modules, instead of deciding for the user.
MXLinux is also heavier than Antix, though. In testing on older machines, Zorin OS outpaced MXLinux in a lot of ways. (I am going way off topic now...) But really, there are three independent distros I support heavily (Not including Debian as it is not independent): Zorin OS, MX Linux and Linux Mint.
Zorin OS leads in speed and performance with MX Linux and Mint leading in Support of FOSS.

1 Like

Funny, exactly what I support as well.
I used Zorin, my husband uses MXLinux, my daughter-in-law uses Mint XFCE :grinning:

1 Like

I have found on three of my machines that Mint bogs down after a while of use, whereas Zorin OS does not- so I install Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin and it runs like a champ.
MXLinux stands as my Go To 'build-from' distro should Zorin OS ever collapse.

1 Like

Which version of Zorin did you use for this?
I am extremely curious.

That is true.
Main reason I switched back from Mint to Zorin for my production machine was this. Instability caused me to restore the system from Clonezilla image for several times before I gave up on it :disappointed:

Ah, exactly the same idea we have.
Our thinking is that Debian will be around many years to come, whereas Ubuntu can pull the plug anytime for their "business decision". I use MXLinux on our WordPress server to be up to date for the progress of MX.

Any, really.
On Zorin 12 and on Zorin 15, the user will probably prefer to add the Embrosyn Repo first:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon

Sidenote - for xapps:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/xapps

On Zorin 16, the Embrosyn repo is not necessary for the updated Cinnamon Desktop and it is also unavailable, anyway. You can just install the Cinnamon Desktop from the main server.

Yes, Canonical (Ubuntu) is swiftly becoming a Microsoft Clone in its management and view of users.

1 Like

I am not using any Wine programme myself.
I prefer VM or dualboot. You can dual-boot Windows and Zorin on your system. I had Windows 10 and Zorin Lite on this Netbook.

To install WINE on Zorin OS (easily), just double click a Windows .exe application and follow the prompts.
Installing from Terminal can be done with:

sudo apt install zorin-windows-app-support

Installing with Synaptic can be done by searching zorin windows app support and selecting the entry from the list.

What is the exact procedure to install Zorin with dual boot on Windows Vista? Any windows prep beforehand?

FYI. I have an old Centrino Duo machine with 2GB (recently updated to 4GB) RAM. I checked at time of Z15 if it was 64bit compatible and and found it was. I have been running 64bit Z15 Core from the start. Running Zorin from USB "Try Zorin" is very slow and no relection of how it will run when installed.

Hello:
According to what the developers have expressed the time is approaching when Zorin 16 will be available (around June 30).
I have been reading some comments about the values that the paid version, Zorin Ultimate, would have. Personally I don't mind paying for it, considering that it is a way to support the project. There are some who believe that Gnu Linux must necessarily be free, but they forget that behind any project there are people who have economic needs. The donation system often does not work (there are several excellent distributions that have disappeared because they have not received enough support in this area). In this sense, perhaps, it would be very good if the Zorin Os group had sponsors to help finance the project (as happens, for example, with Linux Mint).
Something that has caught my attention is the version numbering, 16. I had understood that Lts versions went in 3 by 3 (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15...), so, according to this, it should have been called Zorin 18 (?).
As for the distribution's desktop, I get the impression that most people use it because of its resemblance to Windows. That is why, as I said, perhaps, it would be time to rethink migrating to the Kde desktop. Gnome is a great desktop but it consumes too many resources, and to make it look like Windows it is necessary to incorporate many extensions. Kde, on the other hand, is oriented to the Windows desktop and its consumption is much more limited.
Regards

2 Likes

I could not find the original article any more, but after 15, Zorin changed their system of versioning.

It also conveniently avoid a number of bad omen :crazy_face:
(No, I just made it up.)

I am second for that.
Unless the machine is equipped with USB 3 port, running recent Linux distros from external media is not practical. The only way to know "real speed" is to install it on the internal drive.

I only have an experience with Windows 10 / Zorin 15 dualboot.
I think there is an option to install Zorin along side with Windows during the installation process. But you'd better make a new thread for that question to get more answers from others on this forum.

Come to think about Windows Vista - it is no longer supported and poses security risk (unless you use it in isolation). Actually, Windows 10 is lighter than Windows 7 (at least on this Netbook) and you might want to consider upgrading to Windows 10.

Thanks,
I see a few videos about dualboot, but none with Vista. A few sites suggest I have to shrink the hard disc space first. Another problem I am having is that some of the utilities recommended for all this don't work for Vista.

It seems you can upgrade to Windows 10 with your current Vista licence key.

Before you start, I highly recommend to backup your entire disk with Rescuezilla.

Thanks so much for the info.
There's been so much going on lately, a little out of touch. Never heard that they were offering this update. The original product key is still visible on the bottom of my laptop, not sure if I will need it. Have some reading to do.

I would make a good copy of it before it becomes unreadable from friction. You never know if it might be useful one day.