Zorin 16 boot slow

Hi. My Zorin 16 boot very slow. About 40s. My hardware is AMD A6 series quad core with 500GB SSD. Don't understand why userspace take about 20s to boot....and when is sleep and login again take a little bit to show desktop. How can I fix that?

Hello sib73 :slight_smile:

I do not have a solution but my experience is exactly the same as yours. So far I installed it in HP Elitebook (Core i5 + 16 GB Ram) and home-span desktop (Core i7 + 64 GB Ram + GTX 1050Ti). Both installation take much longer to boot/awake than Zorin 15.

Do you have Snap packages installed?
They have been diagnosed as cause of slow boot's in the past.

Hi, thanks for your advice.

I run $ snap list
which returned:
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
core18 20210507 2066 latest/stable canonicalāœ“ base
gtk-common-themes 0.1-52-gb92ac40 1515 latest/stable canonicalāœ“ -
snapd 2.50 11841 latest/stable canonicalāœ“ snapd

It does not look like I have installed anything myself.

@FrenchPress Ah well, just a thought.
My Z15.3 is a bit slow to boot, but have got used to it. I thought Z16Beta was fast according to some of the Beta users.

Also rediscovered this thread on the old forum:
https://zoringroup.com/forum/5/16000/

Well, it is s a nice thing to know that I am not the only one who is suffering a slow boot :grin:
For someone who came from computing in 80's, I have much tolerance for slow booting. It gives me a time to go to kitchen for morning espresso :coffee:

1 Like

Another cause of slow boot is running a load of things at startup.
I am glad to hear that you are not using your machine to heat up your coffee.

2 Likes

Another cause of slow boot is running a load of things at startup.<<

It is slow after the clean install without anything added to the Startup.

Also rediscovered this thread on the old forum:<<

Thanks to pointing out this thread about a similar phenomenon observed in 15.3. I think I'd rather leave it as is following an old school of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I am glad to hear that you are not using your machine to heat up your coffee.<<

My Pentium machine passed away about 5 years ago - succumbed to its own heating. :hotsprings:

The fact that this thread is labelled "Zorin 16 ..." should attract the attention of the devs @AZorin @zorink looking for feedback on the Beta.

I just sent a comment to developers using a built-in Feedback form. Hopefully it will be fixed by next update.
Other than this minor glitch, Zorin 16 is a perfect OS. It is way better than Windows or macOS which I have been using for several years.

2 Likes