Zorin 16 Pro Lite

I've purchase Zorin 16 Pro for an old Dell Inspiron 1720. I've been running Zorin 15 Lite successfully for several months but, after upgrading, Zorin 16 Pro is a little to heavy for every day use. Will there be a Lite version of Zorin 16 Pro? If so, is there any info about when it will be available?

As an addendum, I've also now moved to Zorin 16 Pro on an Acer Nitro 5, Asus FX8350 desktop and Gigabyte FX6350 desktop. All running perfectly as everyday media stations for my kids. My daughter never even noticed it was running Zorin and not Windows, so smooth was the transition.

2 Likes

Yep.

Nope.
But if you chose Zorin OS Pro, you will get an email offering your Pro Lite (It's included with Zorin Pro) when it is released. You won't have to buy it.

Kids are the best, because they pick right up on the learning curve.

2 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Cheers...

**Thank you for supporting the Zorin OS project.**
 [**Download Zorin OS 16 Pro**]
 Your Registration Number is:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Please keep this email in case you need to download your copy of Zorin OS 
 again or get [**Help**] with it.

We hope you'll enjoy using Zorin OS!
3 Likes

I stick with Zorin OS Lite as it is very stable, fast and drop dead gorgeous. So we all await with eager anticipation.

2 Likes

:grin: Nice to read its working on several devices for your kids and that its a smooth transition. When installing Zorin OS 16 Pro for your, did you opt for the full install or minimal?

Zorin OS is polished and easy to use, and I'm happy there are performant, privacy respecting and affordable alternatives to main stream OS's. But this is from my point of view as someone who is savvy enough to work with almost any system. I think it's good to read about successes, issues and how people use devices, before recommending to friends and loved ones.

1 Like

I'm fairly fluent in "Windows" having 3 full MCSE's. 70-210, 70-270 and 70-290 (Yes I'm old). I'm wanting to branch out and Linux is interesting me. I tried Zorin after a friend recommended it, saying it would be a smooth switch. I've never worked in IT, I'm a textiles mechanic, but the company I worked for encouraged / paid us to learn. Because I knew how to use PKZIP (in MS-DOS) I got the job of installing a wired network for 680 knitting machines. The network was instantly replace by wireless just a few months after I'd finished crawling through the roof doing the wiring. MCSE's seemed the obvious choice of subjects.

All installs have been Full, even on the old Inspiron 1720. It may be worth trying the minimal install on the Dell but I was hoping to use several of the packages that come with the Full version. Also, I'm not sure that the minimal install would be any lighter to run as the core OS remains the same. Maybe I'm wrong, you guys on here know way more than I do. I'll give it a try regardless, simply out of curiosity. Any advice and info welcome. Now that I'm no longer working I have plenty of time to learn something new.

You nailed it.

1 Like

My question was aimed at usability. I am assuming your kids are not likely to use CAD software, for example. Of course whether this is relevant also depends on the chosen desktop layout. The classical menu has everything neatly categorised, but the Windows 11 style just drops all the icons in front of you.

1 Like

My kids aren't really kids any more. They're at College / Uni level. They both have their own laptops so all they want is something to watch Netflix, Youtube, that kind of thing. Beyond that they might write the odd document / save some work on our NAS or send the odd email. My son is doing IT & Programming (all equipment provided), my daughter is doing Animal Welfare and her own laptop covers all that. Zorin seemed like a perfect solution all round.

I'm the one wanting the Full install, all the whistles and bells, so that I have something I can get stuck in to, plus I want an alternative to Adobe Lightroom for my photography needs.

2 Likes

That makes it more impressive zorin os covers all their needs. Thank you for the clarification.

2 Likes

I've come across my first problem thanks to a brief power cut. The unthinkable happened and my daughter's PC turned off. She doesn't like the "key ring" asking for a password after auto-login. I've set power management so that she never needs to logout / login but the "key ring" is unacceptable (for her). Is there any way to remove it? Shall I make a new thread? Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Relevant Info... Problem started after Edge browser was installed. She prefers Edge to Chrome / Firefox etc.

I highly recommend against using Auto-Login. It causes problems.

Here is a guide that explains the Keyring password prompt and how to manage (i.e. get rid of) it:

Thank you for this. I'm currently trying to learn from Linux for Dummies (9th Edition) and Linux all-in-one for Dummies (5th Edition), but I'm not not getting the information I'm needing. Having done all of my other exams based on CompTIA books, and the official Microsoft Certification Guides I was wondering if there's anything you could recommend. I'm competent in Windows and I'm looking for something to ease the transition to Linux. Depending upon what I learn here I may have a crack at the CompTIA Linux+ qualification.

Thanks again and look forward to you're guidance.

I am reminded of the movie "The Karate Kid" where the 'hero' was trying to learn Karate from a book. Mr Miyagi chuckled and asked, "How can you learn karate from a book?
The best way to learn Linux is to Use it. Break it. Fix it. Use it some more.

1 Like

In that case I'm already a Grand Master XD.

1 Like

One of my own go-to books is simply Linux Programming by Matthew and Stone. While quite old, enough of it is still relevant. But it is so well organized, it makes for a very easy and quick reference when I need it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.