Zorin 16 Taskbar/Notification bar Issue

Hello. It seems that apps that run in the background which has the option of having icon on the taskbar or notification bar, the icon doesn't display when starting said application. To get application with icon on taskbar/notification bar to display correctly, one must lock their session, then unlock the screen in order for icons to show up. So it seems to be something with refreshing the notification bar.

1 Like

You could attempt alt+F2 then typing the command "r" this will restart gnome and reload the desktop which should resolve this. This isn't a permanent solution but it's certainly easier than locking and unlocking your session.

Do you know if this is a known issue? Is this an GNOME upstream issue or a Zorin theming type issue? Just trying to get a feel on what to expect for a future fix. Thanks.

1 Like

Tag for @zorink and @azorin to examine and review.

You can be assured that they will address this when available so please keep your updater at the ready.

Has there been an update or more information regarding this issue? Also, would this be an extension that can be enabled/disabled by chance? Thanks again.

1 Like

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4293/top-panel-notification-icons/

I had the same issue when I started using Zorin os 16. I looked at some Ubuntu forums and found that running sudo apt-get remove indicator-* and rebooting fixed this. Now I don't have to lock/unlock to display app icons every time I open any new app. Before doing this, make sure to take note of which packages are removed, just in case. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Somewhere in my foggy brain, this rings a bell. I think this is definitely worth trying for those struggling with this issue.

This appears to be working after I remove indicator-application and indicator-common. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

1 Like

I can (finally) report this solution also solved the issue I've publish before in a separate forum entry Gnome: tray icons gone. After deleting those two packages and rebooting the system, the system tray icons are being updating normally. Thanks for this.

1 Like

This also solved the issue for me. Thank you very much for looking into this issue and sharing your solution.

On a technical base, what is being done by removing the packages? Will they be created again after reboot? Why can't they be removed for all zorin users via an update of the system? Because I think there are many other users facing this issue but not recognizing it...

2 Likes

Good to hear. I don’t think delete them would case any harm, as they are related with the icon indicator extensions, the default one from Ubuntu. I bet these were having some kind of strange, conflict behavior with Zorin similar app indication gnome extension. I can report I haven’t done any fresh install since Z16 beta, so these could be leftovers from that drop. We have been advised to make a fresh install… :wink:

2 Likes

I made a fresh install after purchasing zorin pro and faced this issue until I deleted the mentioned files.

3 Likes