Zorin 17.1 Core, super slow on Lenovo Yoga 510

Heya everyone!

First of all: Thank you for creating and sharing your passion!

Today I told a friend how great Zorin OS is in making old computers usable again. I totally support your idea and I'm on a mission to spread this awareness.

She has an older Lenovo Yoga 510. So she backed up all files and gave me her laptop.

I then installed the Zorin 17.1 Core version today. I had an older Lite version, but felt like her laptop can deal with the new version.

Installation was working well, but then the disappointment:

1. Booting

It takes 1 minute and 47 seconds until I can log in, and from there it takes another long while until the OS is fully loaded.

And the booting in general feels a bit strange: Apart from a brief moment at the beginning, there's no Zorin logo, it's just a black screen and it feels like nothing is happening. Then at some point, the following text appears (plus another few lines that appeared a moment after):

1. System is lagging big time
  • Opening the Zorin Menu (bottom left) takes a couple of seconds.
  • Opening Firefox takes about 10 seconds. Even the second time.
  • Watching a YouTube video is impossible.
  • First thing I did was disabling the "effects", but that didn't help.

Are there just some graphic drivers missing?

Here's some hardware info (apologies for the amateur phone pictures, happy to provide some terminal output if needed):

Please let me know how I can provide more information.

Thanks a million for you inputs!

Welcome to the Forum!

Let me ask a few Questions:

Is it a Dual Boot System?
Or a complete new Installation without Windows?
Which Option did You choose in the Installation Process?
What Program did You used to create the bootable USB Stick?
Is Secure Boot disabled?
Did you tried to cange to X11 instead of Wayland?
Did You checked the checksum of the ISO?

Found the VMX (Virtual Machine issue):

Looking at the Processor specs these were picked up by Notebook manufacturers after Intel ended production of the low end Atom Processors. I would give MX-Linux 23.2 KDE a run:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/KDE/MX-23.2_KDE_x64.iso/download

Thanks @Ponce-De-Leon and @swarfendor437 for your feedbacks!

The issues I experienced last night seem to have disappeared overnight.

The cause is ridiculously stupid:

Low battery.

Today, with fully charged battery and still attached to the power, the system booted and was ready to login after ~30 seconds, and Firefox opened in ~3 seconds.

YouTube videos play smooth, too.

I will try to remove that message, thanks for the hint!

For completion, I still try to answer the questions, as there might be a potential to improve the situation even more:

Is it a Dual Boot System?
No.

Or a complete new Installation without Windows?
Yes.

Which Option did You choose in the Installation Process?
I wasn't sure, so I chose the first option that was available.

What Program did You used to create the bootable USB Stick?
I used BalenaEtcher on Mac OS.

Is Secure Boot disabled?
Yes.

Did you tried to cange to X11 instead of Wayland?
No. But if it would increase performance, I would give it ago. Appreciate any hint on that!

Did You checked the checksum of the ISO?
Yes, I run the whole thing before installing.

1 Like

Just to add, advise to use only use Apt if using software. In fact I would follow Aravisian's guide on how to remove snap and flatpak from the system, and also install Synaptic Package Manager, and gdebi. And put a copy of my Unofficial Manual for Zorin 17 on her Desktop.