Zorin 17 External Monitors not detected after Kernel Upgrade

I had to upgrade the kernal for my system because 6.5 has a bug for my wifi card. After upgrading the kernal I can no longer connect to an external monitor. Zorin just won't detect it anymore.

What Hardware do You have and what Kernel did You installed and how did You installed the Kernel?

1 Like

I have a Lenovo Legion that has an AMD Radeon / Nvidia 4070 RTX mobile video
I used Main Line Kernels software to install 6.7.9
My guess is that it blew away display configurations because it also logs me out when I close the lid now.

1 Like

Nvidia ... Maybe it is a Problem with the Nvidia Driver. So, it is a Laptop, yes? But You have a Picture on the Laptop-Screen. Only the Ports doesn't work. All Ports that You have?

If you installed the Nvidia drivers without DKMS, then changing the kernel may cause the drivers to no longer be recognized.
If this was me, I would open terminal and run (you can highlight, copy and then paste this command below into terminal due to the odd symbols):
sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

Next, ensure repos are added:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

Instal; nvidia driver:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install nvidia-driver-550

Upgrade against the XSwat repo added above:

sudo apt full-upgrade

Reboot and test...

I tried this and it didn't work. I don't think it is possible to really upgrade the kernal without killing the customizations made for wayland.

On a 3070, with Xswat updates and the later kernel, I really find it unlikely that the Nvidia card is the issue.

Have you checked the cable? Some are uni-directional and the cable needs to be turned around.
Is the cable plugged into the Nvidia port or the motherboard port?

A post was split to a new topic: Wifi speed gets cut after wake from lid close

Referencing the above moved post; After reinstall, do you still experience the display not registering the external monitor?

Post about wifi speed moved as that is a new separate issue.

No the display works fine on external monitors.

1 Like