Zorin Appearance Crash

While in the process of making custom themes for zorin (and essentially gnome), I came across an unexpected crash of zorin-appearance. I have been unable to start the window due to the error:

(zorin-appearance:2278): Gtk-WARNING **: 23:23:33.564: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Causality-Dark/mimetypes/16/image.svg: Unrecognised image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Aborted

Documentation on Zorin Appearance is very limited, meaning I don't have a way to fix it manually without scouring my system for the config / cache files.

Any ideas?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=261143

File permission error?

Attempted a solution using the page you linked. Same issue

Please try the following using your terminal:

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

sudo /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

sudo reboot

and test

Still same error unfortunately

What is the Causality-Dark icon theme?

Wouldn't it be better to delete that corrupted icon theme?

Nothing comes up on gnome-look.org when you search on it.

Its a modified Flatery-Dark theme, and yes I'm pretty sure I broke some file somewhere when applying it. I did think about deleting the theme but I'm worried that it will not fallback to a stable one and then I would have even more problems.

It will fallback to default Zorin icon theme if it can't find the deleted icon theme.

EDIT: Instead of delte it, move it, if you are worry it will break something more.

Or rename it by affixing something like BK or back in the file name. Whenever I have to touch system files I routinely do this for "just in case". I was taught this trick back in 80's from a programmer I met in Tokyo. Pre Windows DOS era :grin:

2 Likes