Zorin Back-Up Info Needed

Here some explaining with drivers.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

1 Like

What's really strange is that you are only now seeing the issue, or is this a new hardware? Do you recall if this started after a particular update?

Duplicity is what actually runs in the background. Deja Dup is the graphical interface to make things look nicer and improve usability. I didn't mentioned this earlier to avoid confusion, but yes, you can use either Duplicity or Deja Dup. For now, I would recommend using the latter.

1 Like

The mouse disappearing right context menu has been going on for a month or so .... Aravisian should me how to use the ALT + F2 and type r in the box that pops up .... that works for a bit but then reverts back to the disappearing menu ... no special length of time .... could be right after the ALT + F2 or 1-2 hours later ..... as I mentioned it is very intermittent ....

No I have been using the same brand and model of gaming mouse ..... Raigor 11 WG10 ..... ever since I started using Zorin .... in fact I have three of these same mice because they are very comfortable for me to hold .... I use one on my Acer running Win 7 and one on this Asus running Zorin Pro and Win 10 .... I replaced the original Raigor with a new one about 3 months ago and use it on the Acer .... I am using a newer one on the Asus and keep a spare if something breaks ....

No sorry I don't remember it is been a while back since it started BUT the disappearing top right hand icon thing just started a few days ago .... there have been an awful lot of updates coming from Zorin lately and although I don't always understand what they are all about but have to trust Zorin that they are OK ....

I do occasionally download different apps that members I trust recommend .... like a few games and of coarse themes and icons made by a couple of members here .....

I'm currently using the old Raigor mouse .... the one I started with .... to see if maybe that will make a difference .... changing the NVIDIA from 515 back to 470 did nothing ..... I didn't think it would but was worth a try ....... so I'm switching it back as 515 seems to have better coloration than the 470 ....

Going to do a full blown back up using Rescuezilla and also try out Deja Dup as you suggested .... and I guess "we shall endeavor to persevere" as the ol' Indian in a John Wayne movie once said .....

What I used to do when using Zorin was to just create the version of Zorin i was using as folder name on external drive and just copy everything from my /home folder, including hidden files, to it. Whlst Acronis is a paid for solution, I do have it and tried once to back up my Ultimate Edition 2.9 but it won't restore using Acronis. I recommend two items:

1. Rescuezilla
  2. Timeshift - and if backing up to an external drive, Timeshift backups require them to be saved to a partition formatted to Ext4 (or whatever FS your install has used)
1 Like

Did you manage to solve this?

Unfortunately the mouse problem persists ..... guess I will just have to live with it as I refuse to go back to Win for my daily driver .... I don't need any of their BS .....

As to which back up to use I'm looking into Deja Dup and Timeshare ..... they both have good advantages and disadvantages .... if I could merge these two together I would have the perfect backup program ....

I love Rescuezilla BUT it requires that you download from a flash drive and it backs up everything ..... and I have had to use it twice ..... but I will keep making monthly backups using it ....

Both Deja Dup and Timeshare will let you backup individual folders but if I understand it correctly not any personal folders .... would that include things like the Document .... Picture .... Video .... Download and Gaming folders ????? .... or does that just mean something you are working on at the time ???? ..... they both allow you to only have to backup new files that are created after the initial full backup .....

From what I have read Timeshare will allow you to look at individual folders that you backup but not look at files within the folder .... you can do 5 different times to schedule backups and most important to me is you can use an external hard drive .... however I would have to connect my external HD whenever I needed to make a backup .... Deja Dup may do the same thing but I haven't read up on it as much as I have Timeshare ....

I'll have more time to study my backup situation as I'm calling it quits on the mouse problem ... maybe an kernel update will cure it ..... downloading and installing the latest Asus laptop drivers using Windows sure didn't .....

1 Like

Maybe this is a cable a mouse issue. Did you tried some another cheap a mouse? Och I remember on win working ok.Besides monopoly when selling with you a PC is standard for windows not for linux.

1 Like

Yes I had tried a cheap wired mouse before but I will try it again just to be sure ....

I have Logitech G502 and working without problem wired. If you have wireless one problem what i found on two pc. One wifi was TP-Link 2.4Ghz G/N and another wifi 5Ghz AC. The 5Ghz working corecct but 2.4Ghz connect and recconect with loop. Doesn't matter if this was a windows or Linux. If your mouse is cable or wireless you can trying change port USB or changed drivers for port USB. Poor stick Linux on mouse port od pc,laptop. You also can trying some hub with USB port.

1 Like

Yes my mice are gaming multi-button which up till recently gave me no problems in 10 months ..... I have just plugged in my Bloody T5A wired gaming mouse so I'll see how long it lasts .... if it fails I have an old Vortex wired 2 button mouse I can try .... which I did before ....

Yes I have tried various 3.0 USB ports on the machine but makes no difference .... I also bought an expensive USB 4 port hub .... still nothing .... I updated ALL my laptop drivers over on Win 10 Pro 2 days ago so they are complete ..... if Zorin recognizes them or not unfortunately I have no control over that but I don't see how Zorin can change the factory set of installed drivers .... but who knows ....

Just a slight correction frog it's Timeshift, not a Timeshare apartment! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks I don't know why I keep calling it Timeshare ..... I found out I was spelling it wrong when I went to download some videos on tubbie and they were trying to show me condo rental videos ..... :tired_face: :grinning:

SteelSeries that problem with your mouse?
Because i seeing the problem but when reading all that post I missing what kind a model and here on this all post also talking about back up because that problem.
I bet this is hardware problem. It is finished warranty your mouse what have that problems?

Well that didn't take long for the wired mouse to fail ..... same thing .... lost my right context menu with it .... reset and it showed back up ....

I have one last desperate gasp .... a wire 2 button mouse with no extra buttons or frills ...... made by Vortex .... back to the good old days .... I'll keep you informed ....

Well that didn't take long .... the Vortex mouse fail also .... so now I am going to attempt to use the touch-pad and if it fails there than it has to be software related ....

Not necessarily! Remember the hardware was built for that other OS! :wink:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/keyboards-mice-gnu-linux

1 Like

I know but the mouse I'm using now worked for more than 10 months with no problems so I just curious as to why all of a sudden it doesn't .... also my touchpad didn't work so good either sometimes the right content button worked and sometimes I had to hit it 3-4 times before it would open .... but then I just updated my Asus drivers and that was one of them .....

I wish I could remember just when this mouse problem came about but it has been at lest 2 months .... or it seems that way .....

I'm back with my first mouse at least I can use ALT / F2 / r to reset the right content menu .... maybe in a feature kernel update it will get fixed ....

Maybe some drivers or software app don't liked both together with a mouse and touchpad. Check what you installed about that two months.

I am back using Gnome instead of Cinnamon for a trial anyway to see if this mess clears up .... I have all my settings back to my normal ones I was using on Cinnamon and it seems for now to be OK ..... may even try Xfce again

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.