Zorin doesn't install Dell firmware update

Regularly, I'm notified by Zorin's Software app that a Dell firmware update is available. It's always v1.11.0 > v1.25.0.

When clicking on “Install”, I'm asked to re-boot the system. After doing so, the update notification in the Software app is gone. However, after a couple of days it always re-appears.

Trying to upgrade using Gnome Firmware fails too.

What can I do about this? Thanks!

Linux kernel: 5.15.0-71-generic
CPU: 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz × 8

When asking this on Stack Exchange, I didn't get any response.

Can you download the update, put it on a USB stick and update the bios from the bios itself?

I don't know how to do that. :thinking:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000131486/update-the-dell-bios-in-a-linux-or-ubuntu-environment

4 Likes

Here is what I've been looking for. You're stellar!

Does this delete any files on the computer? (It shouldn't touch the disk, right?)

It will only effect the bios. The bios isn't stored on disk, it's stored in an eprom that is traditionally referred to as CMOS. There will be no disk access until you reboot the machine following the update.

2 Likes

While rebooting, I opened the BIOS Flash Update menu which directly fetched the firmware update from Dell's server and hopefully installed it correctly. At least, fwupdmgr says there are “no updatable devices”, so I consider the issue fixed for now. Thanks! :smiling_face:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.