Zorin Forum Improvements and Function

You are not alone in this. And maybe sometimes, we should abandon them. -chuckle-
But... There are those who in the middle of troubleshooting in a thread have gotten that while trying to ask what to do next or relay results and got very confused and uncertain and stopped posting because they thought the forum was telling them that they did something wrong. I would think that does not happen often, but happening at all may be often enough.

Echoing ST, thanks from me too for starting this.

1. Should this be in Feedback? I don’t have an opinion, so I’m asking.
  2. If you guys get a collection of the words that should be removed from the filter, I don’t mind periodically being the one messaging Azorin or zorink and requesting those be removed. Unless someone else wants to do this themselves.

I wondered the same thing. In the end, I opted for this category as it is "not about Zorin OS". It can go in Feedback as easily, I won't be offended any.

When the forum started, Artyom Zorin sent me a full list of the words being filtered. I think it was saved on a previous copy of Zorin - prior to a wipe and reload.
I am sure I have it in backup somewhere. I will dig it out and shoot you a PM and see if there are others.
You will see many hair curling things on that list that absolutely belong on the list LOL.

You know what I think is hair curling, smelling dog farts. It’s like, what the heck were they eating? If you’ve ever owned a dog, you’d know what I’m saying :joy:

-facepalm-

True enough… but we are trying to make a point that we are capable of accepting our words without just saying them to push limits…

I’m going to formally apologize to the Zorin team. I’m somebody who loves to crack jokes to make people laugh. For we have much sadness in our lives, a little humor can go a long way. But like many comedians in life, we don’t always choose the right moments to be funny. This was the wrong topic and time to crack a joke. Please forgive me, and let’s continue on about the issues and improvements of the site. :+1:

3 Likes

I just got hit with this one, now...

Let others join the conversation
This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 37% of the replies here.
It could be even better if you gave other people space to share their points of view, too. Can you invite them over?

I think the forum wants me to Shut Up. Trying to help someone out and the forum is telling me I am hogging up the Cyberspace and excluding others.
No, really. I am getting annoyed. I just about abandoned the post entirely.

and here is me thinking you just got hit by a dog farts :nauseated_face:

@carmar Note you can type farts in here but not without the "s" at the end. How crazy is that, I say. I was struggling to work out how @StarTreker got away with it in his post.

Yeah, turns out some can type it but some can’t - there is an inconsistency in the filter application. So, there’s that and then there’s the system badgering frequent posters like Aravisian rather than rewarding them. Two serious issues, in my opinion.

And there is another minor/major bug. I installed Ultimate Lite on my machine, last night. With everything wiped, I’m trying to login anew on the forum and it refuses to recognize my password. I ask for a reset email and that hasn’t arrived even though the forum says it sent it. So, I may be logging from my phone (as I am now) for a while.

That is not good, a Forum Mod unable to login to the Forum on his Zorin rig. Have you PM'd @AZorin for help?

Good suggestion. I PMed them since that reset email doesn’t seem to be arriving.

Forum Font could use examining for better visibility or more legibility. The double dash looking like one single long dash has confused quite a few members.

The double dash happens, like MS Word.

This – is converted.
– at the beginning of the line is converted.
–text at the beginning of the line is converted.
But --text doesn’t get converted.

I am actually confused now.
:expressionless:

So am I. Between this thread and the other with the dual boot issue, I feel like I’ve lost my mind. Last time this happened, I was trying to learn programming code. I got as far as Hello World, realized the world was too big for my brain, so I left it. My brain can’t take the matrix. :joy:

What’s the confusion?

Why is the series converted, depending on where there are spaces?
This – is converted
This --is not converted
What is the purpose? There was a thread a while back where that created confusion and I needed to post a Screenshot of the text to show the proper dashes.

It was the font in grub menu thread.

The double dash happens, like MS Word.

This – is converted.
– at the beginning of the line is converted.
–text at the beginning of the line is converted.
Text then --text doesn’t get converted.
But --text doesn’t get converted.

No, it was two different threads than that one. I cannot remember off the top of my head the one where I had to post a screenshot to show the grub parameter.
But repeating it does not answer the question: What is the purpose of converting the dashes? It created confusion in at least three threads.
Another one was where the parameter includes " – persistent" < this is supposed to be two clear dashes.
What purpose is served by ‘converting’ it? I have not used MS Word in years.
I looked up a page on markdown language after that first thread.
Using code:

This --is not converted

Using that posting method helped me to solve the confusion. But forum members joining and seeking assistance may not know markdown language. I had not even noticed that the two dashes were being shown to look like one long dash until another member repeated the instructions back to me with one dash and I scrolled up to look. I do not know how many times that happened that I never noticed it. What purpose is served by changing the appearance of text?

1 Like