Zorin not detecting soundcard

Open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

sudo lshw -C sound

and post the results please.
(Note that when you enter any command starting with 'sudo' you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to root (administrator).

Please bear with. Just about to start my daily ablution!

alr i will be waiting for you

I mean does sound play correctly through the speakers?
Is it just headphones that is the problem?

Been searching for your soundchip from Intel and ubuntu 22.04 but to no avail.

Can you open terminal and install pavucontrol:

sudo apt install pavucontrol

Then follow the top answer on this askubuntu thread:

My only other comment is that sometimes jacks can get damaged over time (had this issue with a portable media player). As you also have HDMI as a sound source there could be a conflict as Zorin may be trying to obtain sound from both sources.
Make a .conf file to blacklist the HDMI source by following my guide here:

i don't have speakers

[ Error writing /etc/modprobe.d/sound.blacklist.conf: Permission denied ]

Sorry, I should have edited the original guide that I copied. Put 'sudo' in front of that command. Having gone back and looked, at the top it states:

"Type as a root or a sudo inside a terminal:"

i have 2 of "snd_hda_intel" wouldn't blacklisting it remove both?

If no other sound source then just choose the card with the higher number, so if one is numbered 0 and the other 1, remove the one named with 1.

i restarted now and there is no sound or noise

OK, delete the .conf file, open a terminal and try this:

rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k

terminal showed nothing after i hit enter, and still there is no sound :frowning:

What happens with

sudo pavucontrol

?

it's been like 15 minutes, it's stuck on loading screen

Gday @OddToast ,
i assume you have a desktop pc? Not a laptop. (is this correct?)
If yes, does your headset have only one 3.5mm pin?

If yes, does your pc have 2 x 3.5mm ports or just one 3.5mm port?

Sorry, that didn't work. I will miss the cake.

As @Ocka is asking more information about your device I can suggest share us the output of:

inxi -Fxxxz

I will stay out of this conversation for now as I have very less experience with debugging the Hardware related issues.

(Question for Ocka: Will changing the kernel solve the issue?)

Yes changing the kernel maybe a solution, but i would tend to leave main changes until it becomes obvious,
I'd be more inclined to have users update the BIOS/UEFI,before kernel change. (As Most people have never updated their BIOS/UEFI).

Yes i should have asked more questions in my 1st reply but was hoping it was a simple issue.
My reasoning is the high pitch noises being heard, makes me think hardware issue.

I'm not sure if the OP is a little confused of the terminology, as they mention "Legacy BIOS",<(doesn't have "secure boot" , yet the op says it's disabled?)
& i'm at a loss that the OP has no speakers (hence i assume it's a D/T, not a L/T.)

I'm picturing the OP seeing the 2 x 3.5mm ports & one has the headset (earmuffs) Icon, & the other has the Mic Icon, & the OP is trying to use the Headset Icon port with an all-in-one 3.5mm pin..

@OddToast
Please tell us the Brand/Make of your PC?
The specs if known:
Age if known or original Windows OS,,Win XP,Win7 etc?
Cpu:
Ram:
Graphics:
Drive/s, ssd/hdd/, & size:

2 Likes

it has 3 ports, 1 for mic, 1 for..idk and one for the headset sound