Zorin on Surface Pro 6 touchpad, gestures and Pen

Hello everyone, i'm new in this forum, and new to the Linux world. I'm working with a Surface Pro 6 for the last 2 years now. Updated to Windows 11 2 weeks ago (Windows Insider preview). So far everything is going very well and smoothly, but curiosity made me try Linux. I decided to install Zorin with Dual Boot - worked :grinning: no Problems with the installation. But i still can't use Touch Gestures, Touchscreen (with Physical keyboard disconnected) and Surface Pen.
Anyone can help me with this? Thanks :grinning: :+1:

Any feedback on this one? I'm having the same issue.

Crosslink:

I installed Zorin 16 on my Surface Pro 3. It runs very well. Except I have the same problem, I cannot use my surface pen. Are there any solutions? I hope the people from Zorin are going to read this issue.

I know that the Touch Support was added in the 5.8 LTS Kernel. I am not sure if it is included in the 5.11 kernel that Zorin OS is using currently or not.

It would be harmless to install the 5.8 kernel and test this, though.

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Reboot and from Advanced Options for Zorin select the 5.8 kernel at boot.
Once booted, open terminal and run uname -a to ensure you are not on the 5.11 kernel. If on 5.8, begin testing with the Surface Pen.

does anyone got the webcams work with zorinos 16.1 ?

I found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/SurfaceLinux/comments/ae2f7f/installing_customising_ubuntu_to_run_properly_on/ (for ubuntu)

but the README.md says:
No longer supported as described.

So switched to this

They install a kernel 5.17.xx (ZorinOS 16.1 is at kernel 5.13.xx)

I've got the touchpad, touch screen and pencil (xournal+) working with that but all cameras are still black / dead

making uname -r in terminal delivers
5.17.9-surface

uname -a delivers
linux pc-name 5.17.9-surface

Any modules to disable? modprobe ...

https://libcamera.org/

It looks like getting WebCam support is an ongoing project.
Please remember that the Surface Notebook was made specifically for Proprietary Microsoft Systems.

Of course this hardware is ....

But never the less it is an example how far we can move limitations with ZorinOS :smirk:

And i am some steps further now:

ZorinOS / ubuntu 20.04 is shipped with meson 0.53 but for doing some configurations we need meson >0.56

So i needed to upgrade this with

sudo pip3 install -U meson

After that i could configure this

$ meson build -Dpipelines=uvcvideo,vimc,ipu3 -Dipas=vimc,ipu3 -Dprefix=/usr -Dgstreamer=enabled
$ ninja -C build
$ sudo ninja -C build install

More important is, how to get the also needed ipu3-fw.bin

And for that step i found this way

cd /tmp
wget -4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.187.tar.gz
tar -xvf linux-firmware_1.187.tar.gz
sudo cp /tmp/linux-firmware/intel/irci_irci_ecr-master_20161208_0213_20170112_1500.bin /lib/firmware/intel/ipu3-fw.bin
rm -r /tmp/linux-firmware
rm -r /tmp/linux-firmware_1.187.tar.gz

So I have the kernel 5.17.9, the binary for the IPU3 Cam
and i could configure libcamera -> GStreamer Support

With all this i have my front cam running - but as described, in a quality that needs to be improved.
Never the less many steps, but it's "working"

Other way, buy a cam for 10 € - plug in - happy either :rofl:

Links:

1 Like