Zorin OS 12.4 64-bit latest upgrade problems with YouTube & Maps

I just loaded the latest system upgrade,
I’m running Zorin OS 12.4 64-bit.
Google Maps now loads then the screen turns solid pink.
YouTube, the videos run but flash to dark continuously and stay dark unless the mouse is in the screen.
Bing Maps has vertical stripes running down it in multi colours.
What happened, everything was working fine before the latest update.

Steve, welcome to the forum.
Will alert the Zorin Team to this issue.

In the meantime, perhaps you can rollback the latest update in order to get things working again, for now.

How long ago did you run the update? Assuming it was within the last three days, you can run this command in terminal to view all the latest packages that were updated:

find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ -name *.list -mtime -3 | sed 's#.list$##;s#.*/##'

You can change the -mtime -3 to 4 or 5 days or 2 or 1 day if you want...

Find the earlier version of the package you want to downgrade and you can use

sudo apt-get install (PACKAGE-NAME=VERSIONNUMBER)

to downgrade the package.

Once you have downgrades- or rolled it back to the last working version, you can use the apt hold command to prevent that package from updating until the release is working properly;

sudo apt-mark hold (PACKAGE-NAME)

For example,let's say it was Gimp that you want to put a hold on, you only need the name, not the version number so:

sudo apt-mark hold gimp

I did the upgrade on the 13th last thing then turned the PC off.
I ran the “find” command line and recieved the following 20 item list.
libluajit-5.1-2:amd64
libluajit-5.1-common
chromium-browser-l10n
libopenjp2-7:amd64
chromium-browser
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
google-chrome-stable
linux-modules-4.15.0-117-generic
linux-image-4.15.0-117-generic
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-117-generic
linux-generic-hwe-16.04
linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04
linux-headers-4.15.0-117
linux-headers-4.15.0-117-generic
linux-headers-generic-hwe-16.04
xserver-common
xserver-xephyr
xserver-xorg-legacy-hwe-16.04
xserver-xorg-core-hwe-16.04
skypeforlinux
Do I have to do the “sudo apt” command line for all 20 of the items listed ?

I am wondering if the Chromium Browser updates are the culprit

Both Chromium and Chrome are doing the same thing.

Well, one is based off the other. It may also be the kernel, in which case version 4.15.0-75 may serve you better.
But, xserver was also updated- that is a possible one, too as that deals with graphics.
I am sorry that I cannot narrow it down better.
You can probably cross skype off the list of things to mess with. :wink:

Thank you for your help, I’m a bit of a novice on the linux front…Any chance to could write the actual sudo commands out for me to copy ?

Sorry for the delay, was working with loud machinery out in the shop.

For the kernel, you would look to:

sudo apt-get install linux-modules-4.15.0-75-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.15.0-75-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-75-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.15.0-75
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.15.0-75-generic

For xserver:
You may go in one of two ways: hwe or non. Since you have the names above already for hew, I will post the non. Then you can adapt as needed.

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all

I ran sudo apt-get install linux-modules-4.15.0-75-generic
And received the following:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-modules-4.15.0-75-generic
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘linux-modules-4.15.0-75-generic’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘linux-modules-4.15.0-75-generic’

Is this correct ? It doesn’t look right.

Ok. Well, looking into it, the later 4.20 kernel may be preferred anyway.Let's try it manual install, just do each one at a time, then use sudo dpkg to install all at the end:. This is how I install a kernel, myself.:

cd /tmp/

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.20/linux-headers-4.20.0-042000_4.20.0-042000.201812232030_all.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.20/linux-headers-4.20.0-042000-generic_4.20.0-042000.201812232030_amd64.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.20/linux-image-unsigned-4.20.0-042000-generic_4.20.0-042000.201812232030_amd64.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.20/linux-modules-4.20.0-042000-generic_4.20.0-042000.201812232030_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

I really, really appreciate your help with this.

ok, I ran all in the list you gave me and the end looked like this: It’s a bit long…
DKMS: install completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping…

Building module:
cleaning build area…
make KERNELRELEASE=4.20.0-042000-generic -C /lib/modules/4.20.0-042000-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.38/build…(bad exit status: 2)
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.20.0-042000-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.20.0-042000-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.38/build/make.log for more information.
…done.
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.20.0-042000-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/sec2/sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/sec2/image.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/sec2/desc.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/nvdec/scrubber.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/sw_method_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/sw_bundle_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/sw_nonctx.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/sw_ctx.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/gpccs_sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/gpccs_data.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/gpccs_inst.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/gpccs_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/fecs_sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/fecs_data.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/fecs_inst.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/gr/fecs_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/acr/ucode_unload.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/acr/ucode_load.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/acr/unload_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/acr/bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/sec2/sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/sec2/image.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/sec2/desc.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/nvdec/scrubber.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/sw_method_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/sw_bundle_init.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/sw_nonctx.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/sw_ctx.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/gpccs_sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/gpccs_data.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/gpccs_inst.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/gpccs_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/fecs_sig.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/fecs_data.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/fecs_inst.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/gr/fecs_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/acr/ucode_unload.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/acr/ucode_load.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/acr/unload_bl.bin for module nouveau
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gp108/acr/bl.bin for module nouveau
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt
Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.20.0-042000-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.20.0-042000-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-117-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-117-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-115-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-115-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-headers-4.20.0-042000-generic

What, may I ask, should I do now ?

try

sudo apt --fix-broken install

sudo update-grub

uname -r

That is to check what kernel you are running

Then

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

That is for Nvidia Graphics drivers

let us know what you get

For this:

Enter in terminal:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change grub timeout style to menu, From this:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

Change it to this:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

Then hit ctrl+x to exit, hit the 'y' key to say yes to save, then hit the 'enter' key to save it as the original name and at that point, the terminal will go back to normal.

I ran everything up to the nvidia ok.
then i got:
sudo ubuntu-drivers install
usage: ubuntu-drivers [-h] [–package-list PATH]
ubuntu-drivers: error: argument : invalid choice: ‘install’ (choose from ‘devices’, ‘list’, ‘autoinstall’, ‘debug’)

Eh, I am not sure… I do not use Nvidia. Open your apps menu and type in “software and updates” and select it from the search resutls in the app menu. Then go to the Additional Drivers tab- let it search fro a while- then follow the prompts there.

OK on the nvidia.
when I ran the grub timeout command I got this:
There was no GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE entry.

If you change this file, run ‘update-grub’ afterwards to update

/boot/grub/grub.cfg.

For full documentation of the options in this file, see:

info -f grub -n ‘Simple configuration’

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs

This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains

the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD …)

#GRUB_BADRAM=“0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef”

Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)

[ Read 36 lines ]

^G Get Help ^O Write Out ^W Where Is ^K Cut Text ^J Justify ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^R Read File ^\ Replace ^U Uncut Text^T To Spell ^_ Go To Line

Odd. Ok, just change what you have, to this:
(Remove lines as necessary)

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR= lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Just a comment about the update to Chrome/Chromium - necessary evil sadly:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/upgraded-agent-tesla-malware-steals-passwords-from-browsers-vpns/

Thanks, but my Chrome/Chromium still isn’t working…Do you have a way to rollback Chrome/Chromium ???

yes, you can do so in terminal by using sudo apt-get install followed with the package=version number
For example, if you have Gimp 2.10 installed:

sudo apt-get install gimp=2.8.0

Or you can do so graphically using Synaptic Package manager by searching for the package with version number.
I found this while doing a search:
https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0AVmQTZfwtYw/?hl=en&gpf=%23!topic%2Fchrome%2FAVmQTZfwtYw%3Bcontext-place%3Dtopicsearchin%2Fchrome%2Fcategory%243Awindows8|sort%3Arelevance|spell%3Afalse

It says to clear the cookies in Chrome.

1 Like

reminder number two!

1 Like