Zorin OS 16 compatibility graphic cards

Hello Friends.
I have really important question.
Can I find anywhere what compabitility this operating system will be with graphics cards?
I always have problem with installing for graphic card Radeon R9 390
Changing settings in grub.
Because this operating system is mostly for novice people who jump from windows to linux.
I wondering with installation if could be gived some database to choice what graphic card you have on computer and then linux start searching in repository to install correct drivers when have connection internet.
It very help with installation because after installation you can see only black screen.
I tried installed Zorin OS 16 beta and try testing and this what i get black screen.
If someone could help will be great.
I know I can test on Virtual Machine but this is not the same.

I never have problems with high end nvidia cards (xx60, xx70, xx80). They usually well support by the binary driver(s). I have used nvidia cards with linux since 1999.
I know they aren't open source, but the performance equals the one in Windows today.

Until Nvidia or AMD Radeon offer full support for Open Source, there is sadly no other way of getting the drivers to work than to configure the drivers as outlined below.
The driver you need can be found in this repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Then run

sudo apt update

sudo apt -y upgrade

Reboot and test.
Open terminal and run:

lshw -c video

Make sure it says amdgpu. This should answer your question as asked... Everything below may be necessary, however, to get it all configured. You can test how it works without the parameters below, first.

Now, edit your grub with new parameters:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Find this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and change it to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.modeset=1"
Once that is changed, paste this line to the end of the file:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x32
You can change the resolution to whatever you want.
Press ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save as current configuration.
Run

sudo update-grub

and

sudo update-initramfs

Reboot and test.
If still not quite working right, you may need to blacklist the Kernel Module for Radeon:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add the following line

blacklist radeon

Press ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save as current configuration.
Then run:

sudo update-initramfs -u

sudo reboot

and test.

2 Likes

With nvidia cards linux working perfectly. No complaint.

@Bourne - please confirm that Zorin OS 16 compatibility graphic cards - #3 by Aravisian worked for you. If it did then please mark it as the solution.

PS - thanks for confirming. I’ve changed the marked solution from this post to the one I linked.

Confirm

1 Like
  • will be one from alphabet

If anyone make those steps and keep not working, that's why because to put the line blacklist is not inside the /etc/default/grub. Actually this blacklist command should add inside a specify file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf then add the blacklist radeon inside of it. If it file does't exists, just create it and then add it inside and repeat the process to update-initramfs -u. Now it's works for me too.

This font it's help me to get it: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-blacklist-a-module-on-ubuntu-debian-linux

1 Like

Thanks for adding clarity. I am leaving the original post as it is for the record, but posting a more refined method (In addition to your excellent advice) below: