Zorin OS 16 Core hanging after login

Hi All. I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340 on which I have been running Zorin OS 16 Core for just over a year since Feb 2022. I have been keeping it updated and run only Zorin and no other OS's on this pc.
For the past 2 days, i have been unable to use this computer for anything. The keyboard and inputs freeze during login, or the screen goes black. Sometimes it doesn't boot at all. As of right now, it is booting everytime and I am able to login, but right after the desktop opens, the laptop hangs. The cursor moves around but I cannot click on anything, nor does the Keyboard respond. Sometimes the wallpaper vanishes. I have been unable to solve this trying various suggestions across the net with no level of success.
I have been using Zorin purely through the UI, and am not a highly technical person, but am able to follow instructions mostly.
If this issue cannot be resolved, is there any way to get the documents off the hardrives? It has a 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

Hello,

Can you please post output of;

sudo apt install inxi
inxi -Fz

How should i get to the terminal here? The computer is unresponsive after login. Ctrl+Alt+F5 requires me to enter my login which im not aware of. The username for my account isnt working. I'm currently using a secondary PC.

Have you tried lower level TTY? Like F4 or F3?

yes. currently while trying, the screen went black and now has started spamming error codes at me.

[some number]EXT4-fs error (device nvme0n1p2): __ext4_find_entry:1663: inode #8650753: comm thermald: reading directory lblock 0

the thermald part gets replaced with gmail from time to time.
latest attempt

I see you have previous kernel installed. Can you boot up and see if one of them are working?

i can try, but how should i check if they are working? the minute i login, the device becomes unresponsive.

Note: you may hit tab or esc to get to GRUB menu in Zorin, then you can boot previous kernel.

Note. From GRUB, previous kernels can be found under "Zorin Additional Options" menu item.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.