Zorin OS 16 Core random freezing on Nvidia

After 3 days

with no issue, today it happens again. :thinking:

Are you logging in on Wayland?

Nope X11!

I did a fresh install with 525 drivers no issues yet, let's hope that stays this way!

I am not sure but, when I upgraded the driver to 530 the issue occur!

And yes before that Installed Ubuntu 22.10 with a 535 driver and the freezing issue was occurring more than before!

1 Like

UPDATE: The issue still exists :frowning:

I wonder if using nomodeset parameter might alleviate the modesetting errors you are showing above.

Hey @Aravisian,

Thank you for assisting me, much appreciated!

I have downgraded the Nvidia driver to 470 to see if it fixes the issue but unfortunately didn't.

After adding the nomodeset parameter, did you run sudo update-grub?

Yes I did!

1 Like

The only suggestion I can actually think of at this point is to try testing Zorin OS Lite and see if you experience freezes.

1 Like

I got some information that might help you to define the issue pressisly!

00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller (rev 10)DeviceName: Onboard - OtherSubsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Cannon Lake PCH Thermal ControllerControl: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16Region 0: Memory at 8d31d000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-Address: 00000000 Data: 0000Kernel driver in use: intel_pch_thermalKernel modules: intel_pch_thermal+

00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SMBus Controller (rev 10)DeviceName: Onboard - OtherSubsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Cannon Lake PCH SMBus ControllerControl: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16Region 0: Memory at 8d318000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]Region 4: I/O ports at efa0 [size=32]Kernel driver in use: i801_smbusKernel modules: i2c_i801

The only thing I see here that might have gotten your attention is:

This is normal - the PCI physical setup used four pins. In PCIe, this is emulated on newer systems to behave as if using four pin dedicated interupts.

Nothing else I see there stands out...

Did you see my post above?

Yes, I did a reboot after I made the changes you suggested with grub and so far so good.

I hope stays this way If didn't, I will try Zorin OS lite!

1 Like

My logic is that I am not convinced that the issue is with the Nvidia card.

Testing a Different Desktop Environment may really give us more clues.

1 Like

Well, I have used Ubuntu 22.04 before and Kali Linux with both Xfce&Gnome, and I didn't have this issue at all.

I used Zorin Os for almost 5 months now with no issues!

This is confusing, as Ubuntu 22.04 and Zorin OS 16 are on equivalent kernels.
But they do use different versions of Gnome.
And I am hedging my bets you would not have the issue on Zorin with XFCE (Zorin OS Lite 16)

Ah yes, I almost forgot to mention I installed Ubuntu 22.10 with 535 Nvidia driver before Installing Zorin OS again to see If I will experience the same issue and yes it was.

This is a short term support interim release. Interim releases are like Beta Releases; they are playgrounds for testing. This means they can include more bugs and regressions.
While it may seem like a higher version; it is in actuality a Risky Version lol.

1 Like

To be honest I though I installed 22.04 LTS version :joy::joy:

1 Like

Hey @Aravisian,

I installed Xfce as you suggested, what Nvidia driver version I should use?

How I can run Google-Chrome browser with 120Hz?