Zorin OS 16 Core random freezing on Nvidia

I have the same exact issue!lspci output

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller (rev 10)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 10)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 10)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 10)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SATA AHCI Controller (rev 10)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device a303 (rev 10)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS (rev 10)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SMBus Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SPI Controller (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 16)

My pc config:
Host: H310M S2H
Kernel: 5.15.0-76-generic
Packages: 2263 (dpkg), 17 (flatpak), 18 (snap)
Shell: bash 5.0.17
Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: Intel i5-8400 (6) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 15797MiB

@saigo , I moved this to a new thread since the other thread described an issue on AMD Ryzen whereas you are on Nvidia.
While subtle, sometimes such differences also mean different solutions will apply.

Which Nvidia Driver are you using? You can check with Software & Updates > Additional Drivers

Have you been monitoring Temps and fan speeds to see if overheating is the culprit? (it often is).

Have you run fsck or a S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive to check for bad blocks or sectors?

Hey @Aravisian,

I am currently using 525 Nvidia driver because I had some issues when updating to 535 ( black screen)

My Cpu Temps is always below 50, and my GPU is below 60
I have updated the kernel from 5.15.76 => 5.15.78
I have an SSD but I didn't run any tests on it

Let me know if you need more information!

I watched a video right about HDD and SSD some days ago and in fact a reason of a dying SSD is right an unexpected lag, noisy computer or random BSODs. I hope your SDD is relatively recent as the engineer on the video said SSDs have an expiry.

A few things you can try:

sudo prime-select nvidia

On Demand may cause crashes.

You might try the grub parameter intel_iommu=off if you are using Intel integrated with Nvidia dedicated.

You might refresh the Nvidia drivers (I agree about 535 drivers being itchy):
Thoroughly remove Nvidia drivers

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

Install Nvidia drivers

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Add X-Swat team repo

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

Upgrade Nvidia Drivers with X-Swat updates.

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Hey, again @Aravisian,

Thank you for your assistance, I will do your steps and see If the issue is gone or not even tho I am scared to toy with nvidia drivers :stuck_out_tongue:

Aah! BTW I have used Ubuntu 22.04 and Kali on this computer and I didn't have this issue with them!

Yeah, I am thinking of that!

This is the errors I got from the logs!

nobody cared :face_with_raised_eyebrow:? What? Some processes kid with the user?

I have no clue what is that :joy:

But after the last kernel update from 5.15.76 to 5.15.78, I had no freeze issues so far. I hope it stays this way!

After 3 days

with no issue, today it happens again. :thinking:

Are you logging in on Wayland?

Nope X11!

I did a fresh install with 525 drivers no issues yet, let's hope that stays this way!

I am not sure but, when I upgraded the driver to 530 the issue occur!

And yes before that Installed Ubuntu 22.10 with a 535 driver and the freezing issue was occurring more than before!

1 Like

UPDATE: The issue still exists :frowning:

I wonder if using nomodeset parameter might alleviate the modesetting errors you are showing above.

Hey @Aravisian,

Thank you for assisting me, much appreciated!

I have downgraded the Nvidia driver to 470 to see if it fixes the issue but unfortunately didn't.

After adding the nomodeset parameter, did you run sudo update-grub?