Zorin OS froze at random times!

Hello!

Recently after the last updates I installed, I have been facing a strange issue if I keep the system idle for a few mins it froze completely for some reason, and I have to power off manually the system to fix it. I have no clue what caused the issue!

Kindly, any solution?

Thank you!

PC SPEC:
Kernel: 5.15.0-75-generic
Resolution: 1920x1080 - 144Hz
DE: GNOME
CPU: Intel i5-8400 (6) @ 4.000GHz
Memory: 16GB
SSD: 240GB
HDD: 2TB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
GPU Driver Version: 530.41.03 - CUDA Version: 12.1

2 Likes

Try check the log app.

1 Like

I recently read many posts complaining the same issue, and usually the reasons are the same, gjs and grep processes and browsers crash handlers running in background eating up all memory, consequently causing crashes, lags, and freezes. To prove it, beyond Storm suggestion (checking Logs is really helpful, I know) you can also monitor your memory usage in real time using System Monitor. It's better to know which ones are running so we can give suggestions and solutions accurately.

1 Like

I agree that this is the first thing I would look at. The Browser.

For me, I no longer use Vivaldi Browser for this very reason.

1 Like

Hehehe, interesting, this is a browser I was going to start testing to see if performance improves (certain 3D games are really slow on the preinstalled Firefox), not yet started and soon read that has this problem :rofl:. By the way, so far I didn't spot any issue about crash handlers on my Firefox, at least this :smile:.

I Love Vivaldi for its customization and user control. But not for its RAM and performance.
It is a resource hog.

1 Like

Then one day I'll compare it with Firefox, I'll open a certain 3D game and monitor their usage respectively, it would be a nice experiment :smirk:.

i also experienced the same thing since the last update.

Did you find any solution?

Thread closed due to multiple open threads on same issue:

1 Like