Zorin OS 16 Core Slow Wifi TP-Link N900 (TL-WDN4800) Qualcomm Atheros AR9380

It's ok, I was just checking. There are some grub modifications that can, on your particular model, cause Atheros flaky internet. Since you have not modified grub, then that would not apply to your case.

Let me just give you guys an update:
The solution that seems to work for me is as follows 2 steps coupled together:

1. Speed issue is solved by:
sudo su
echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
  1. the stability problem has been solved by:
sudo gedit /etc/default/crda

and setting the REGDOMAIN to your particular country code.

I did 3 speed tests at 20 minute intervals and all have a 73-75 megabits/s so stable. its only 1/3 of my internet speed but for the moment i'm happy with that because it is stable.
If i find any improvement or there is a change in this fix i'll post accordingly.

Speed Tests:

test2

References for Fix 1 and 2:
fix 1
https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-qualcomm-atheros-slow-not-connecting-on-ubuntu-but-works-in-win-10/

fix 2

Final note: This is clearly a driver issue, but with 2 tweaks can be solved to some degree.

I think Zorin OS is awesome!

1 Like

I also have a final note for you. If your machine has an ethernet port, and even if it doesn't, you can get a USB to ethernet adapter, and I can tell you right now, once your plugged to a cable, your gonna get your fullspeed. lol

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, but for the moment I’m happy with the speed and stability and is ok for my needs. Nonetheless I consider Zorin OS superior to Windows, so I’ll stick with Zorin and MacOS. I’ll get the pro version soon.

Just tested mine in linux, it's about the same compared to windows 10 speedtest. I have a 50Mbit/s connection, but i get a little bit extra :sweat_smile:

Holy, you look like you got more upload then you have download, that aint right, should be the other way around lol. I got a 90MB down 5.8 UP connection, but this old dual core machine using its WIFI adapter, can only get this at best.

It is right, got the same thing in Windows :D, but if you look at the picture you see a huge spike at the beginning and drop down like a stone. I think they pick the average speed. I did a new test and got almost the same results

1 Like

This is my speed test taken from my MSI machine, which is directly connected via ethernet.

Like I said before, my ISP has been tugging my OCD strings for awhile now with not letting me have my last meg I pay for, whats this 89 garbage! Where is my 90? lol

I pay for 50 and i get 70 haha

At least our internet is similar. So we have that to share in common at least, our net speeds. Those that have 1000mb internet, makes me want to wave my 3080 GPU in their faces as a response. Oh and thats not just the 3080, its the 16GB 3080 lol

My favourite USB to Ethernet adapter which doubles as a USB hub.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07K1PSVG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Oooooooo, I love it! Thank you for sharing some technological wonders with me FrenchPress. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.