Zorin os 16 freeze problem

Hi, I hope you are all doing well. Since ZORIN 16 launched on the market, my laptop has been freezing during my work. Why is it that I need to forcefully shut down my laptop to work again? Can you help me resolve this issue?

1 Like

What kernel are you currently using?

uname -a

or

uname -r

I have this problem occasionally also. I haven't been able to find a pattern, except that I always have many programmes running when it happens.

Sometimes I can go to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F3), kill X, and avoid a reboot. But mostly I have to use the power button to force a reboot.

I'm running 5.13.0-39-generic

5.13.0-39-generic

I also have this problem when I open too many tabs on my laptop.

This suggests, since you say it has been continuous since you first installed Zorin OS after its initial release, that the problem has been present on All Kernel Versions that have updated through until now...

Have you checked for errors?

Boot logs:

journalctl -b

Kernel logs:

journalctl -k

Error level priority messages:

journalctl -p err -b

No I am not pro in troubleshooting problems

What should I need to do?

I am facing same issue right now. It froze 5 times today on my pc. In which i was debugging android apps in physical device 4 out of 5 times and in one time only calculator was opened

In your case, you have been experiencing a variety of issues - enough that if it was me... I would perform a Reinstall of the OS, just to rule out a cause of corruption. Also... I would try installing Zorin OS Lite, instead - in order to test the functionality and responsiveness.
It may not be your first D.E. choice, but we can amend that later if the fresh Zorin OS Lite install performs better or does not show these issues by installing the Zorin Core D.E. on it.

I am assuming my problem is the same as this freezing problem. I have had this as far back as I can remember. I have noticed that on some updates I will have the freeze to happen daily, as updates are installed the freeze time lessons and I have gotten up to several days before the freeze. I think I am getting about two days before having to restart now.

When this happens the Keyboard and Mouse are dead as in not installed. I now have to restart the computer to get back to normal. I have Zorin 16 Pro also installed on another desktop and a notebook computer and I don't think this happens on these computers but not sure because they may be turned off before the problem ever exist.

If I do a Reinstall will I loose anything? This is my office computer and stays on 24/7 processing internet sales orders. Next question is how do you do a reinstall, I am at a blank.
Larry

Yes, a reinstall would revert the system back to just as it was when you freshly installed the first time (not including updates).
Personalized software you installed and personal files would be removed.
You can back up personal files prior to reinstalling.

However, you may prefer to open a thread about your specific freezing issue with your specs and hardware info, first. We can try troubleshooting steps before considering a Fresh Reinstallation.

Please take an action on this, zorin 16 have many problems and freezing is the major problem…

Have you run

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

since this post?

You may also try

sudo apt install --reisntall zorin-os-desktop

in order to reinstall the Gnome-Shell (likely culprit for freezing) and GDM...

Thanks, my problem is now solved i migrate from zorin 16 pro to zorin os 16 lite , its far better than pro version and light.

Pro has a Pro Lite version, as well. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.