Zorin OS 16 is the ALMOST perfect newcomer's distro

The pre-made layouts and installed apps offer convenience, especially for beginners. You can do it yourself and spend time, or pay and save time. I think they should add more to the Pro version, maybe even more layouts to choose from. I think convenience and peace of mind are 2 things that should be capitalized on in Linux space.

The other nice thing Pro includes, which users new to Linux might find useful, is the installation support from the team.

It would be interesting to see revenue breakdown, to see how donations compare to the Pro sales. At least percentage-wise.

2 Likes

I see the polling result - over 82% said their motivation for choosing Pro version is to support developers.
It is a good thing to know since I always said that majority of the Pro users are purchasing Pro version in lieu of making a donation. This result confirmed my belief :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is exactly why Pro version must exist.

4 Likes

That’s right in your argument is right now the most easy distro linux out there.

4 Likes

@mikedomo Hi and welcome to the forum. Thankyou for indicating you have ZorinOS Pro and that you are finding it easy.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Make sure to participate the ongoing poll if you have not done so yet.

1 Like

I very much disagree. The layouts provided in Core are more than enough for the average user, even when coming from Windows or Mac. The GTK themes are perfect and provide a GUI that is far better than Windows (and in my opinion better than MacOS too - although this is somewhat controversial I've found). Zorin Pro is not 'bloated': it is useful, and the utility comes from having all of these things pre-installed for users coming from Windows or Mac rather than having to manually do it oneself. The system still runs snappily and there are no significant storage or performance costs. Furthermore, you support the development of ZorinOS (important) but even more is that you get 24/7 support which is something you would never get with any other distribution as far as I'm aware. If a mostly tech illiterate middle aged person had to install ZorinOS, this support becomes absolutely vital if there are any issues whatsoever

3 Likes

It is because the volunteers are spread over the world :earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia:

Some volunteers are from different parts of US while some are in Europe like myself. None of us works for money. We donate our time and knowledge to support the OS we believe in its quality.

5 Likes

The interesting what people wrote under.
Good point, and that's probably one of the reason why Linus Torvalds has said "Fragmentation" is why Linux has never succeeded as a Desktop OS. During that same It's FOSS interview, he added that "It seems to be that Chromebooks and Android are the paths towards the desktop." However, Garuda Linux Cinnamon was still a new OS at that time, and this latest Cinnamon Community Edition seems to almost be an attempt at bringing some of the fragmented parts together in an attempt to break away from the "Fragmentation" mentality. Normal Desktop OS users don't want to deal with annoying Authenticate popups slowing down their workflow...one password during login is all that is needed, at most. Fact is, Fedora Cinnamon SPIN doesn't even require the standard 'Password Dependent ' user be created, i.e. only a root password is required to install it, but settings will allow root user to boot right up w/o the password...like Windows OSes. Chrome OS requires a login password at login, and Garuda Cinnamon just requires you to login as root (username) 'n then a password. None of the Android OSes I have used ever required any password. I believe Garuda Linux is trying to make an OS for "normal people," but, like you suggest, it's still Linux...

I happily bought the Pro Edition

i have nothing against paying for some extras. the most important themes are there.

also how much costs WDos 10/11?

They are free if you have a Windows 7-8.1 copy you can do a free upgrade.

IF is a small but important word

1 Like

Gnomal people ?

gnomal

5 Likes

Most people never buy Windows in their entire life. They just get pre-built pcs with Windows pre-loaded. And manufacturers get a pretty hefty discount on their licenses, so people don't really pay for Windows often, even indirectly.

1 Like

They absolutely do pay indirectly: The cost of Windows is factored into what the seller charges for the computer- at a markup... including Installation fee, of course.
The only time a person is not really paying for Windows is when they buy a used computer, from the previous owner. I do not see any reason to believe that applies to "most" people.

4 Likes

And that too could be incorporated into the resale price.. On Ebay there were so many laptops that a selling point was Windows 10 when I bought mine.

Sorry, I used the W word... Feel like I have to go wash out my mouth....

2 Likes

...with Whiskey, another W word.
Well it is New Year's Eve. :joy:

1 Like

Or when they assemble their own with parts. :slightly_smiling_face:

Jameson.. The original great thing to come out of Ireland.. Followed by my Grandparents, then Zorin...

3 Likes

The problem is if people get the choice like in Matrix don't count four episode.
There is the true where people want to lieying or revolution for free.
I taste any type source code or software. Some going for money some going for freedom. What will be your choice? If I will be a great programmer like you all then I will trying repair a whole world to my dead like a Tony Halik. When he get more sick but never gave up. The same the Tesla or I am wrong when he sick and people refusal his idea. So if I could repair a word the best is silence with a team where a secret can use in future to gived more power. That how it all works domination a group a people.