ZORIN OS 16 not starting after installing update

Today I was prompted a new update by Software Update. I installed the update and it says it needs to restart. When i restarted, Zorin cannot load up and gives me a black screen and only a mouse cursor. I use i5(6th Gen), NVIDIA GT730 and Crucial MX500 SSD(1TB). I managed to get into the advanced option and choose one of the options and I'm able to load up but this is not the usual way. Any help?

You used Advanced options to load up the previous 5.11.0-27 kernel, right?

If so, use Synaptic Package manager to remove the latest kernel or:

sudo apt remove --purge linux-headers-5.11.0-34-generic linux-image-5.11.0-34-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-34-generic

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Can you explain why this is happening so we can learn more about it? And will I have the problem again if I install future updates?

I don't know. There may be a regression in the 5.11.0-34 kernel that is conflicting with Nvidia Drivers. So far, I have seen four threads on the forum just today and two of them are confirmed using Nvidia- yours makes three.
This is pretty new, still.

Yes, if you update the kernel -for the time being until it is patched, this could happen again. If you do not want to disable the updater; you can use the terminal apt-mark command to hold your current linux kernel.
Try:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-headers-5.11.0-27-generic

Please monitor this thread and the forum in general for an update to this issue so that you can unhold the kernel shortly:

sudo apt-mark unhold linux-headers-5.11.0-27-generic

2 Likes

Update

The Zorin OS Updater is now offering kernel 5.11.0-36 over 5.11.0-34. Might be worth checking out and seeing if it works.
Be sure to remove any apt-mark holds with the command above.

I don't get the message about that kernel in the updater. It says i am up to date.

In terminal, please run

sudo apt update

apt list -u

Does it show the Linux-headers-5.11.0-36?

Please see here:

I will stick with that until word from the ZorinGroup.

michel@michel-predator-g9-793:~$ apt list -u
Listing... Done
alsa-ucm-conf/focal-updates,focal-updates 1.2.2-1ubuntu0.10 all [upgradable from: 1.2.2-1ubuntu0.9]
N: There are 2 additional versions. Use switch '-a' to see them.

https://forum.zorin.com/t/zorin-os-update-after-sept-6-21-kernel-5-11-0-34-black-screen/7816/4

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.