Zorin Os 16 vs Pop! Os (In terms of Per)

As always the manufacturer doesnt let you know the full potential. Its more like hidden discoveries lol.

3 Likes

Did you see my screenshot? Well, shortly after that, it reached 16GB of RAM usage rendering 4K. It seemed to eat more RAM, the longer the rendering time. I was rendering a 1-hour video in 4K at that time.

So, the point I was to make is, and is the reason I was asking the OP for what video resolution they were rendering in, and what APP they were using to edit video. If you have 16GB of RAM, your going to render 1080P footage just fine with no worries, heck I did it on my old computer that had that much RAM.

If your rendering 4K video, your going to want more RAM, like probably 24GB would actually be enough really. If your rendering 720P footage, which is less then 1080P, you could probably get away with 8GB of RAM, like my Zorin workstation machine has.

But 4GB is simply not gonna cut it for production work. Thats my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

3 Likes

Ya, I'm also waiting for Zorin Os 16 lite. Let's see when will it comes.

1 Like

Hey, I have a Yoga 530 with AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, which is definitely not a high end laptop to say the least. I have tried Pop! OS and felt the same on general desktop usage as Zorin 16.
I did not game on Pop, but GFN was working really nice from Chrome, so no problem there, I would say even a little bit better, than Zorin. I felt the controls more responsive on pop.
I did edit video, just 1080p, using Openshot on Zorin and experienced no problem, felt same as Windows 10 before that.

I had other problems with Pop, so had to move away, but I think performance-wise, you will not have any problem with Pop or Zorin. But, as many said above, 4 GBs of RAM might not be enough for serious rendering. With 8 GB, I'm can happily work on my low end 1080p videos, but I would not start getting anything heavier.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.