Zorin OS 17.1 is already out ... ?!

Had a minor system update. Saw that the Zorin Updater needed to be updated. Went ahead and updated everything. Rebooted. Checked the OS version afterward. Turns out I'm on Zorin OS 17.1 ... ?! Was surprised. (Pleasantly so, mind you.)

I knew the CEO said they were going to shoot for February or March 2023, but OK. Where's an official announcement? I tried to download the "Pro" ISO, but apparently it's still at version 17. When can we expect more information about Zorin OS 17.1?

Thanks.

P.S.: See picture below as "proof." (Thanks again.)

P.P.S.: Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong subforum ...

4 Likes

I changed it in the Chat about Zorin Category.

But I can confirm the 17.1 Version on Core:

Maybe that is the Reason why LibreOffice jumps to Version 24.2.1

1 Like

Thank you for moving it to the correct forum.

Hope the Zorin Group makes an announcement soon!

1 Like

I imagine this will be announced very soon then, otherwise it's a rather odd, albeit welcomed, play to sneak up on us like that :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe there are in there Hearts Ninja's, haha! But the 17.1 Status could explain that LibreOffice jumps to the up-to-date Version 24.2.1.

1 Like

Indeed! Sneaky Zorin Group! Ha.

2 Likes

There usually are no major announcements for Zorin OS point releases from the ZorinGroup.

Announcements consist of major releases, new features or direct changes that will impact the user.

Point releases are part of the updater process, so a user does not need to download and install anything.

3 Likes

Not sure about why LibreOffice is 24.2.1 but mine is 24.2.1.2 and that is what I have and Z17 Pro is still at 17.0 not 17.1 ..... I just had a major LibreOffice update yesterday .....

1 Like

We are still on Zorin OS 17,
To be the first to know, remember to open Zorin's Blog daily.

I open the blog page prior to opening the forum.

As for the "Upgrader" saying your on 17.1 is correct but not true, all that has happened is the Dev's have added the "title" entry to the Upgrader,

2 Likes

Me too !

2 Likes

There were for ZorinOS 16, although I don't know if this was something exceptional. But if they are planning on making this a regular thing, it would probably be a nice way of increasing visibility of the development efforts.

1 Like

Zorin updates roll out in a trickle effect. They update the main server, then the mirrors (your local servers and any clones of main, will be updated in time).

So everyone receives the update at different times. Some may just be getting to the update prior to the point release. All will eventually see this update.

The only people who are notified directly, and only if there are major changes, feature additions or major bug fixes, are pro users. Otherwise, the blog is too share with the community.

Download iso's are not the first to receive the update. Usually the community gets it, then the iso follows shortly after.

The upgrader has a place holder, which allows the ZorinGroup to quickly add the finished product. Many application developers do this, as it informs users as well as gets the "easy" portion out of the way, allowing more time to focus on what will be released. I would not use the upgrader as an indicator of impending release.

While this is good news, it's somewhat disheartening that this precedes the lite and education variants.

This should help community members realize the complexity of what they do. It also shows their dedication to quality over quantity, as they want core, their flagship, to be a stable experience. Then these fixes can be incorporated in lite and education. Which should make their release less problematic.

@Omnimaxus if you could run your system through some testing...

1. built in applications,
  2. sleep and returning (double lock screen? ) after some time (hour or two)
  3. as well as some load testing (something graphically complex [video game/ movie stream]) while other applications are running (firefox, chrome, libre office)
  4. and any third party application you have installed (discord, zoom or other software not provided by the Zorin repos)...
  5. even brighteness changes,
  6. audio,
  7. Bluetooth?

This will give us an idea of what all was changed and how it is performing.

These are the things reported as having issues. While you don't have everyone's hardware, the info is still useful to gage the changes and performance.

Whatever you do test, if you decide to, keep track of the test (what you were testing) and the outcome (what the final result was).

Example:

• Testing lock screen return after two hour sleep.

• Result was single login screen, without issue of keyboard or mouse.

3 Likes

Yes, that is right. The first 2 Numbers are the Year (24=2024) and the Month (2=February) and the last two Numbers are only for the Under-Version. They had changed the System for the Version-Numbers.

2 Likes

My quick and dirty response:

1. Built-in applications seem OK (from the ones I did try just now).

2. Have not had any issues with returning from sleep nor going to sleep.

3. No issues with load testing, but my specs are decent, so "YMMV."

4. SoftMaker Office works fine. Never had issues with it in Zorin, so ...

5. No Bluetooth. No issues with audio and brightness (that I can tell).

OK? Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Go here: Zorin OS 16.1 Released & Humanitarian Aid for Ukraine - Zorin

I hope the Zorin Group will post a similar blog article about 17.1 and make it "official" and explain "what's new" ...

1 Like

This is why an "Official Announcements" thread in the main page of the forum would be useful...

3 Likes

Maybe the Roll-Out have just began and they will make an Announcement after it roll's like it should.

1 Like

Sorry if i didn't make this clear.
ONLY the title has been added to the UPGRADER's list, this being the same as your OS name (Which can be seen in "settings>About")
I assume as the UPGRADER is the new software the Dev's have some how added the title(17.1) to the list.

So the bottom line is it's a FALSE notification & nothing has been upgraded on our systems.
This will only happen when the Zorin Group release any upgrades.
To obtain the false notification, you need to first be on Zorin OS 17 , open the Upgrader & follow the prompts.

Keep your eye's on the Blog page :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I mean ... why do it this way? So ... yeah.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Well! It's an ... "interesting" approach, I'll say. Sure.

And like you said, keep an eye on the blog page. Yep.

Season 2 Yes GIF by Paramount+

Yes, the blog is the official channel, and part of the Zorin site, as this forum is. blog.zorin.com will have news of the changelog (what is different) as well as that the point release is public.

I would imagine that there will be news on this in the near future, since so many things are problematic for different people.

As always, don't expect it to be a fix all for everyone, as there is no way for the developers to test every hardware combination by every manufacturer, and custom configurations of those that piece their system together. It should improve the experience for everyone, however.

2 Likes