Zorin OS 17 Beta Feedback

I see that Wireguard has now made it into the list of VPNs - will it possible to set up an entry just by importing a supplied .conf file - this would be really helpful!

Kernel is 6.2.0-37-generic, packages are a bit long to list here though

(I've already installed some extra software anyways)

1 Like

If you open advanced networking and scroll to the bottom you will see import .conf file for VPNs. It would have shown up in my Video tour if the end result had not been like a failing analog TV from the 80s!

Although I have 16 gigs of RAM, which may "mitigate" this issue, I seem to be fine for now. Running Firefox with a couple of tabs, Fractal and the System Monitor I'm at ~4.5gb of RAM, with most of that being taken up by Firefox and Fractal. The Shell is only using ~300mb of RAM.

1 Like

I see a lot of packages marked as 42 not 43 or have I got that wrong?

I've had a good experience at first, but RIGHT after install a new driver update came out, that essentially broke my system because it didn't prompt me to reboot. After a reboot everything seems fine however

I guess I just had bad timing and triggered an edgecase :person_shrugging:

Nope, that is true. It's the same as Ubuntu 22.04 in that regard. Application versions are not matched, so some will be 43.9 (like the shell) and some others will be older.

1 Like

Haven't lost the internet icon, but think I was in KDE either using Firefox or downloading a theme and got brief pop-up message no internet but icon clearly showed still connected. Zorin connect picked up my phone as two differently named phones, just the one device, Fairphone 3 and FP3, but might be down to the fact I have been using KDE connect on KDE Neon and MX-Linux 23.1 KDE. The device name on the phone is FP3.

43 does not have this memory leak.

It's good that they went with Gnome 43, now it's like Debian 12 :smiley: perfect middleground between new and stable

Tried it live. The sideways workspaces will take some getting used to. The glaring white edge is too stark so I installed Blur My Shell. Not a problem when you scroll them via the Workspace Indicator extension. The wallpaper also scrolls now. Liked it better when it stayed put. Not sure I like its multiple large icons on the taskbar. I liked just having the number.

Some of my old extensions no longer work but there are newer ones that do such as Pano Clipboard Manager and Weather O'Clock. My suburb is now included in the weather.

I do like that it saves two wallpapers for day/nite.

Ain't that the truth.... LOL
Hang in there. It'll just be another 7, 8 months maybe. And it'll be awesome.
(Basing that upon previous release times)

1 Like

I find the light theme too bright anyways. Could never go with it. I always switch to dark theme right away.

I like new beta, it is smooth, good looking. But missing of availability of latest apps (which are available on Ubuntu) is my minus for Zorin.

Atm I am switched back to Ubuntu , will see what next update will bring :slight_smile:

11 posts were split to a new topic: Customizing Zorin OS 17 Beta

I have video glitches when running MPV on a MPEG-4 videos, very weird

It is really great to see how many members enthusiastically help test and report on the Zorin Beta. Just noting a Thank You to everyone.

5 Likes

I wish Zorin OS add KDE by default, because everything out of the box with Zorin is much more gorgeous

2 Likes

It isn't ready yet, Vimeo is optimising my brief introduction to Zorin 17 Beta. This drive is failing and I don't have a spare one to DD or Rescuezilla to.

Had to use WinFF to convert as I think the codec was too UltraHD!

2 Likes

Started having some 'stickiness' when selecting Home folder on desktop - after opening the highlighting should disappear but the 'halo' around Home folder and text beneath remain:

but wondering if this is due to failing drive (second one this week!)