Zorin OS 17 Lite

Some people talking new KDE is better from XFCE4.

I have been using Q4OS (Debian) with KDE 5.27 and it is great. I have also used Ultramarine (Fedora) KDE 39 with Plasma 5.27 and now Fedora 40 with Plasma 6 and it is about the same with some nice refinement. KDE Plasma 6 is good but so was 5.27 so the difference is not that much. It has taken me several years to get used to KDE and appreciate it. It is not complicated but it is overwhelming/confusing when you first use it. I guess that is why I have always preferred Cinnamon the most because it is somewhat like KDE but more intuitive.

Yes. I still reading people have tearing or some problems with Wayland and nvidia gpu in KDE.
Some people preffer Gnome because the qt is more problematic.

On system resources I think XFCE is better than KDE.

Is it still relevant in the modern age when all the people are just using modern and desktops and UI? I mean, just take a look at Win11, MacOS, Gnome, KDE..
The UI you mentioned are inferior and suffer from having too much clutter and too many options. People use XFCE because it's simple and fast. There also exists different skill levels and ways people use their OS for example getting things done through console, scripts, customization's etc.

I have tried the other DM, And IMO XFCE does the job. It does the job, I can simply customize it to suit my tastes. XFCE doesn't give you add short of things you don't need, which in turn becomes bloat. I will use XFCE till my eyes don't work anymore, then I'll need a hole different interface. I'm sure I have answered this question before, but my answer is and will be the same, XFCE will be relevant as long as there are a mouse and a display. Why would you think it wouldn't be, for as long as there is a choice there will always someone who will choose it.

So the people talking XFCE is better from GNOME and KDE.
In linux world I saw people hype doing on Gnome and KDE.
People choice Gnome because GUI is near a macos.
KDE have problem with qt.
The simple answear is many people using android mobile but all ppl sayed iOS is awesome.

Linus Torvalds sayed the linux must be simple with simple GUI propably he means DE.
For me simple DE is Cinnamon and XFCE.
Gnome and KDE want be the same like windows.

I have always used XFCE.
Dont care about looks all about performance.
My machines are old but work fine for my needs.

That's why I value any distro that has native XFCE.
I also use Manjaro XFCE longer than Zorin.

1 Like

Oh I used to really like Manjaro’s Xfce and their GNOME. It was their KDE that made start tolerating Plasma. Manjaro is fantastic but I started gravitating away from rolling releases to LTS type releases like Ubuntu. After a while, I realized I like Debian the most. The more I learned about Linux, the more I appreciated the Debian way which made me wary of the AUR. Manjaro has had some issues lately and their reputation has dropped a bit. Their Xfce is probably the best looking default implementation. A rolling release and Xfce are a good match. I tried Fedora’s KDE recently and it was a good experience until it wasn’t again. In order to like Fedora, you really need to know a lot about Linux and enjoy troubleshooting. Fedora and I never get along. :pensive: Meanwhile, distributions like Zorin, Q4OS, Mint or Pop!_OS work even after months of non-use.

Manjaro alwayshave problems with keys. This is just awfull clone another distribution.
Fedora what released now. You get problems with a games. Developers sayed they will not repairing that.
Fedora is focused on GNOME.
PoPOS I tried but not enjoying gui and they don't listening users and support only for people who buying them pc. Maybe something changed.
PoP!_OS not for my suit.
Zorin,Mint and Debian. That is my preffered distributions.
Another are fork and forked. Clone and clones.