Zorin OS downloads failed under Windows 10

Zorin Lite 15.3 32bit. The specs given here on the website show the need for much less resource than other versions of Zorin. It says a usable flash version only requires 8gb, so the 32gb should be fine

Certainly you can try.
It is you to judge in your use cases.

And in any event the laptop I'm trying to download to has a 256gb hard drive with 100gb still available, 4gb ram, 4gb processor memory, and the very latest Windows 10 updates (which may be the problem)

It all sounds good to me.
Why you cannot make installer USB is puzzling.
Did you manage to get the checksum of the downloaded iso?

https://passwordsgenerator.net/sha256-hash-generator/
Drop the iso file in the box then press
Generate button below.

That would be Windows 10 Tablet Edition on that machine. A slimmed down and suped up version of Windows.
I think a super Lightweight Distro would do you better service.
I suggested Antix above, but there are several.

Zorin OS Lite 15.3 Lite should work fine, but a little sluggishly under a heavy load.
Strangely, though it is now out of support, Zorin OS 12.4 Lite 32bit would probably perform better.
The low RAM is a definite bottleneck. The minimum requirements are the bare minimum it can run on... Not necessarily what will run well.

1 Like

The dialogue box refuses to allow copied material to be pasted into it, so I can go no further. I'll check back in the future to see if anybody else has suggestions. Tx

Aravisian has suggested a better alternative for the spec of your tablet, Antix.

https://antixlinux.com/

If you ever want to try to download Zorin in the future I would visit source forge instead and if you have issues with their automatic server selection you can manually choose a server closer to where you reside.

The MD5 checksum is another method to verify and for 15.3 Lite it is:

4b979e2f50497a2f353fd9ef6e0809d2

I made a video on how to do md5 checksum in Windows 7, should also work in Windows 10.

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

I also included all the SHA checksums for all Zorin 15 (up to r2) variants and earlier releases on page 9 in the unofficial manual I wrote for Zorin 15:

Here are a few more alternatives:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-lightweight-linux-distros-ideal-intel-atom-processor-pc/

1 Like

For checking of SHA256 checksums of downloaded distro's I always rely on Quickhash. It can be downloaded and run offline. Intuitive GUI, just drop the file in and cut-and-paste the reference SHA256 from Zorin website.
See https://www.quickhash-gui.org/

I have already gave a link to the similar site (which is always working for me).

According to him, it was impossible to drop the file in the interactive window....

Considering the fact that his browser would not let him download installer iso, the Windows he is using could be one of those education edition.

I knew it since Acer 2-in-1 laptop I bought for my husband came with Windows Home licence but Windows Education pre-installed by mistake :frowning: It took me a whole day to figure out how to fix it since Education edition got so much restriction.

He mentioned being unable to use curl. Though I wonder if curl was installed or not...

My version of Windows (Pro) comes with it.
Same for a Home edition.
That gave me a tip that his edition might be Education.

2 Likes

You gave him a link to a online hash checking site. I though maybe he was having internet issues seeing problems downloading ZorinOS. So I suggested a offline hash checker as an alternative.

He has a Windows tablet and a "Compaq C60" (assume Compaq CQ60? or is it a G60?) Notebook ex College. So from that, your hunch that Windows on that is an Education edition could be the issue.

:bulb:

Thanks for this detail which I overlooked!

I think the worst computer hell for geeks to go is where they only allowed to use Windows Education edition :skull_and_crossbones:

This Acer laptop was 40% off from the regular price for a good reason.

1. It has a wrong edition of Windows pre-installed.

2. It also has a wrong keyboard layout.
    Sold as a French keyboard but in fact, it is an antiquated Italian Olivetti layout. We found this one out after my husband asked his Italian friend.

#2 is not a problem for my husband since he is touch typing with BEPO (French Dvork) system. But no wonder Acer had much problems selling this production lot.

Just use google to download a small tool called hashchecker in windows.

In Windows Education edition, there is no way to install any software apart from what is offered in the Windows Store.

Also, the machine refuse to download .iso file in browser as well as in CMD (curl).

The only way to change this situation is to upgrade to Home edition but that requires a new license for the machine. I do not think it worses it since this is NOT the machine OP wants to install Zorin.

He wants to install Zorin on 32bit Windows tablet with 32GB eMMC + 1GB RAM. It could be done, but Zorin would not be an ideal OS in light of the spec of this tablet.

3 Likes

Pfffff ... Microsoft...:fu:t2:

But kids are safe in this way :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I agree and affirm .... years ago I bought Win 7 Student addition .... for 1/2 price of Win Home and couldn't do squat with it except just what was installed on it .... live and learn .... like what was said .... "it is made for kids" and definitely kid proof .... LOL

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.