Zorin OS Dual Boot - SSD Drive - "No Detected Operating Systems"

Hello

I am trying to install Zorin OS 16 Core Edition as dual boot on my SSD drive. My other OS is Windows 10.

I am running from a live USB and when I try to install, I only get the options to "erase disk and install" or "something else". Above these two options, it states "This computer currently has no detected operating systems. What would you like to do?".

Can anyone please offer some assistance? I have had a look at the options under "something else" and can see my SSD drive is being recognised, but I don't know how to go about choosing the right place to install to (if any), without running the risk of messing up my Win 10 installation.

I do not want to cause issues with my Windows 10.

Thank you in advance!

Installation screen:

"Something else" screen:

In Windows 10, you must go to the control panel > power options and disable Fast startup or Fast boot.

In you BIOS / EFI settings, ensure that you have Secure Boot disabled. Still in BIOS / EFI settings, check if you are using AHCI or RAID.

1 Like

After you have checked the settings mentioned above. I would suggest it is possible the Win 10 loader/bootmanager is corrupt and I would suggest running SFC/DISM

2 Likes

If you manually create your partition for the Zorin installation, you can choose that partition to install to using something else and wouldn't need the alongside windows option (wouldn't matter if it already existed or not). Partitioning is covered in Partition & Install Zorin 16.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your help.

I don't know what I did, but somehow Win10 corrupted and wouldn't even fix using all the usual tricks or my boot usb. Good old windows; it's given me the kick I needed to do a full install of Linux, over the windows installation.

Hopefully I won't need windows again, but if I do, the advice above will be very valuable to me, so I can set up dual boot.

Again, thanks to you all for being so friendly and helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.