Zorin OS Freezes Randomly

I am using Zorin from 3 weeks but there is this new problem of OS freezing randomly. Can anyone help me this is real Frustrating.

Are you using Zorin OS Core or Zorin OS Lite?
(You can also set this on your profile under Preferences > Edition to prevent being asked each time)

Zorin OS Pro version

How did the Problem Start?

5 Likes

Gnome Desktop, then... This is not an uncommon issue with Gnome
Can you please check the logs?

sudo journalctl -b -1 -e

Application stopped responding and prevents me from entering input with the keyboard or mouse to other application windows

cannot access terminal

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1.
  2. Log in. You won't see anything as you enter your password
5 Likes

yeah, then?

Use a utility like ps to figure out the offending program's process name. Sometimes this is easy in Ubuntu, and other times it isn't. For example, the name of an Archive Manager process is file-roller

5 Likes

You can pipe ps's output to grep to narrow things down. Suppose it was Archive Manager that was causing the problem. Then you could run:

ps x | grep file-roller
6 Likes

Now, what?

Even after a reboot?
Are you saying that it is permanently stuck?

I Have no Idea what's happening!

Attempt to kill the offending process with SIGTERM. This gives it the chance to do last-minute cleanup like flushing file buffers, signaling to remote servers that it is about to disconnect (for protocols that do that), and releasing other sorts of resources. To do this, use the kill command:

kill PID
5 Likes

Please reboot the computer, then
ctrl+alt+t to open terminal and run

sudo journalctl -b -1 -e

This way we can quickly see what the logs report.

where PID is the process ID number of the process you want to kill, obtained from running ps

5 Likes

I am Trying :sob:

Should I Enter the Process number from Above ps?

1 Like

yes, and notify me if it worked!

5 Likes