Zorin OS hangs in the installer and doesn't show partitions.

Here is a video I found on youtube that shows well the bios. Sorry for the delay and hope it helps this video. I'm actually testing going by the "Windows way" than trying to have another bios and being able to destroy my machine.

I believe so but I can not say for sure because there is no way I see or change the configuration from RAID to AHCI or something like that.

I experienced a similar issue a couple of times. When the installer gives you the 3 check boxes (1. To install updates during installation 2. Download proprietary drives 3. Participate in the Zorin consensus.) make sure to uncheck the 2nd option to download proprietary drivers. Sounds a bit wild but I remember that causing the hanging issues for me.

2 Likes

I even go as far as untick the 1st option as well.
This way, losing the network connection would not affect the installation process.

1 Like

So I can flash bios?

If you are talking about updating BIOS to the latest version, sometimes it helps (but not always). As for the mod BIOS, I would not touch it unless you can get it from a trustworthy source - I was simply very lucky for that regard.

I updated my comment in the other thread you have started. Please read it.

I will try to install and uncheck these options but I think it will solve my problem :frowning:

Just for your information, I had Peppermint OS and Xubuntu installed on the Intel ConputeStick which has eMMC as an internal disk.

Due to its physical format, there is no option for RAID nor AHCI in BIOS - there is no such connector to start with.

If nothing works for Zorin, you might want to check out the aforementioned two OSs.

Dunno about peppermint os, but Xubuntu stops at selecting a wireless device during install, same position the Zorin install stopped. But without any crash, just loaded and stopped.

@Jason1
I think you should stick to your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's thread.
Your setup is not identical to OP's setup and my advice is for @SeriousFreezing not for your setup.

It is not very productive to split my attention (or other volunteer's attention) between two threads.

I think I get it, but what do I do then? I have tried to install Kubuntu and does not appear the partitions. I have tried to install Zorin OS and it hangs.

I might have asked you already but could you please give me the make/model and spec (CPU and RAM) as well as a type of storage (eMMC or SSD/HDD) of your machine?

Samsung X40 from 2018/2019 nvme SSD

Ah, OK. Thanks.
I am surprised to see SSD can be such problematic to install.
Like I said in the other thread, the only machine resisted my Linux install was the one with eMMC.
Do you think it might be because of the RAID setting which OP cannot change to AHCI?

That and the Samsung X40 MotherBoard.

SATA SSD and nvme SSD are pretty different.

Thanks for this info.
I did not know that. It seems when it comes to the latest hardware, Linux installation is getting quite tricky.

For the very latest, yes - because everyone structures their hardware and their drivers for its Hardware Firmware for Microsoft Windows. All that needs to be redone for Linux to use. Honestly, It is utterly amazing that Torvalds Kernel Team is as lightning fast as it is.

1 Like

Yet one more reason to buy older generation machines. All our laptops were from eBay - 4 to 5 years old previously leased corporate laptops. They are cheap (approx 1/4 - 1/3 of the original price) and I've never had any problem installing Linux on them.

What about OP install Zorin on the external USB disk? Does it not solve at least the nvme issue?

1 Like

I see no reason that this could not work. The only downside is whether the port is slow or not. If it is USB, the OP needs to be sure it is plugged into a 3.0 or better port.

I think this generation of laptops come with USB 3.1.
I would not be surprised if it has no USB 2 ports.

@SeriousFreezing
If you want to try out USB disk installation, please let us know. Otherwise, you might have to wait for a long time before your shiny new laptop gets fully supported in Linux.

1 Like